Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Toronto
I just bought a used n810. Apparently it isn't in perfect condition (for example, the power jack is iffy).

One problem that seems odd: when I try to switch off the n810 it appears to go down, but it then immediately reboots.

I thought that this might be due to some software configuration so I reflashed the machine with the latest Diablo. I assume that that resets essentially everything. Still the same problem.

I first tried to switch off by holding the button in the middle of the top of the unit for multiple seconds (just like I do on my n800). It exhibited the reboot behaviour that I've described. I also try briefly pressing that button and then selecting "switch off!" from the menu that appears.

Since I needed the machine off to follow the flashing procedure, I awkwardly managed this by removing the battery after switching off but before the reboot proceeded. Installing the battery while holding the swap key was rather awkward.

Any ideas for things I should try?

Any idea of what may be wrong? Could some button / sensor be stuck on?

Thanks!

WOW. That's odd. Maybe the power button is somehow loose? So, it somehow feels like it's being continually pressed? It's just a wild guess, of course.

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
It is rather odd. What do /proc/bootreason and /var/lib/dsme/stats/* say? It might be worth installing syslog and checking the bottom of /var/log/syslog.old after such a reboot. Also check the rd-mode and rd-flags settings next time you use flasher (these persist even after a reflash).

Last edited by lma; 2010-09-11 at 11:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Toronto
Thanks for your help, Hordeman & Ima.

I wondered whether the power button was stuck on. But if so, I would not expect the n810 to respond at all to my pressing it since it would not be a change.

/proc/bootreason says "por" right now. I don't remember how I last turned it on. For a couple of reasons, I've recently removed the battery right after power-down and before rebooting.

To get you an accurate answer, I did a normal power-down. And this time it worked! This is the first time that has happened, and I've tried at least 10 times previously, in various situations, over a period of the week that I've had it. Mostly before reflashing, but several after.

To see if this was a fluke, I powered down again and it worked.

I cannot think of anything that I changed. A bit of charging (but I've done that before). The most recent setting change was to calibrate the touch sensing; I don't think that that could matter.

After this, /proc/bootreason is "por", /proc/bootreason and /var/lib/dsme/stats/por is 5, and /proc/bootreason and /var/lib/dsme/stats/sw_rst is 1.

Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
/proc/bootreason says "por" right now.
I don't remember seeing that one before but according to this it means:

If battery disconnects & reconnects, the /proc/bootreason should be "por" (power on reset)
In a normal boot it should say "pwr_key", and some other possible values are listed in http://wiki.maemo.org/Troubleshootin..._reboot_issues (apparently incomplete).

It's possible the battery is sufficiently worn out to cause issues, I think it's worth trying syslog to get some more hints. If by any chance you have an extra BP-4L lying around, try that as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post: