Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Besides the resolution, I dislike the colors on the Lumia 800. Its sort of dark and dont know how to formulate it, but just dull. The email is perfect, but black and white, austere look is kind of turn off. Perhaps I wish their lines were bolder and letters bigger and font control available. (Why cant these phones have font controls, but iOS does?)

Any updates on Lumia 900? Still in love with it?

Skype video works like a charm, LinkedIn just came out, works rather nicely - iPad version is better (naturally due to larger screen) but I've noticed that battery life while on my AT&T microcell is diminished.

As a phone, it's good. IE9 leaves a lot to be desired. I cannot tether my iPad/Xoom to my phone without paying for it... that sucks. I cannot increase the volume of the voice commands - it's way low - but they're there and work like a charm. Even sent out a few texts today while pumping gas.

I've noticed a bit of lag when I switch from contacts to an app - say e-mail, and I can't get into my contacts when I'm on the phone. That's infuriating.

I still liked the novelty of my N9 - the screen tap to wake up, the notifications on that screen still beats anything out there in my opinion, but I'm getting used to the tiles. In fact, I rarely open apps now, just glance and know if I have e-mails, messages, meetings on my calendar, the weather. That part is good.

Still liking it, the phone is holding up, still feels rougher than the N9, but is starting to "smooth out" in some areas. Nature of the type of polycarbonate they chose I guess.

You da man

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
You da man
Sorry, but no. I have to disagree.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

I've had my Lumia 800 for a couple of days, and my goddam, I like the thing. It's no smartphone at all. There's no way this can be called a smartphone, way too many limitations, and I'm used to N900/N9/Symbian and Android. But what you get is a nice working device, in many ways similar to the iPhone.

Since it's not a smartphone (according to my definition), I don't think I'm going to hold on to it for very long, but updates are coming and that's a lot of fun all by itself. Tango is coming any day now with full tethering support. Later on WP8 will or will not come to the current Lumia series, nobody knows for sure.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I like it as a phone. That bezel thing... yeah man. I miss the N9's rounded screen. Love that feel on the screen.
Camera seems better in low-light to me than the N9. Less noise man... much less noise.
Camera? Everything I've read suggests the N9's still better in most respects, including the UI.
There's been detailed comparo's at MNB, that was the general consensus in the article & user comments.
L900 has optimisations which improved things*, by but all accounts it's not enough to surpass the N9.
All round video performance however is another story... (cept for audio)
Anywho, I'll be able to compare it all for myself soon, 900 will be in Australia soon apparently.

*which will also eventually flow to the L800

LinkedIn just came out, works rather nicely
There's at least one for the N9 now, no idea how it compares though.
Don't really care about Linked-In personally...

I cannot tether my iPad/Xoom to my phone without paying for it... that sucks.
I thought the L900 had tethering out-of-the-box or does it have to wait for Tango too?
Guess it also depends on the carrier you're with, esp. in the US...

I cannot increase the volume of the voice commands - it's way low - but they're there and work like a charm. Even sent out a few texts today while pumping gas.
There's at least one voice-to-text app for the N9 now that integrates into the system.
Name escapes me OTTOMH, been meaning to try it, haven't done so yet.
It's not a full-blown voice command system though, not sure if there is one.
There was a port of SIMON started ages ago, but I haven't heard anything since.
I might look into where they're at now.....

I still liked the novelty of my N9 - the screen tap to wake up, the notifications on that screen still beats anything out there in my opinion, but I'm getting used to the tiles. In fact, I rarely open apps now, just glance and know if I have e-mails, messages, meetings on my calendar, the weather.
Yeah notifications on WP7x doesn't even come close by all accounts.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-30 at 10:58.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Camera? Everything I've read suggests the N9's still better in most respects, including the UI.
Bright sunlight, both are great. Dimmer lighting, WP7 seems to have an edge on not letting in noise. N9 is more natural in contrast, but seems to run a bit more compressed. WP7 is... dunno. I find it better for the stuff I tend to shoot - my N9 was awesome in my tropical vacation.

UI doesn't factor in for me... just lemme take a photo. I find WP7's UI better - simpler, less to deal with when I'm in a rush.

But that's my take. I rather like both.

Anywho, I'll be able to compare it all for myself soon, 900 will be in Australia soon apparently.
I can't wait to see what you say. I think we're wholly different users, so it would be very interesting to see what you come up with. Please... update us when you get some solid experience.

Don't really care about Linked-In personally...
I truly don't either. So the quicker I can get in and out of that, the better. But I have been forced as of late to use LinkedIn for business contacts as of late. So it's now "important". The unofficial ones are... missing.

I thought the L900 had tethering out-of-the-box or does it have to wait for Tango too?
Guess it also depends on the carrier you're with, esp. in the US...
Exactly. AT&T wants to charge me. I had to hack my N9 to get that in the US. Both have "tethering"... I just ain't paying for it.

There's at least one voice-to-text app for the N9 now that integrates into the system.
Name escapes me OTTOMH, been meaning to try it, haven't done so yet.
Please, dear goodness update me on what this is. I've yet to see it...

It's not a full-blown voice command system though, not sure if there is one.
But see... I need one. I don't like touching phones sometimes to send a message or answer the phone. Then again... that's just me.

Yeah notifications on WP7x doesn't even come close by all accounts.
Man, no joke. This part alone makes me miss the N9.

Tags
promises, windows phone