Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
You can start it from the menu, at least it works for me.

Also, if you switch off 'use system border and title bar' (see Estel's mail above), the Maemo menu is no longer in the way. Note that it only worked after I had restarted and set the statusbar to semi-transparent. (I don't know if both of these are necessary)

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Hmm my /home/user/.config/chromium/ seemed to be corrupted or something. Deleted that folder and now it's working from LXDE don't know what caused this...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
I'm glad You all liked it

@impeham
I can't reproduce chromium behavior You've reported, when using "ctrl +" and "ctrl -" . In my case, pages are rendered correctly, and it's perfectly possible to drag page in any direction (yet, I'm using scrollbars anywhere, as I've written in last post - shouldn't matter, in that case). Are You sure, that it isn't related to some particular site?

@mr_pingu
Maybe You've opened Chromium via "Ed root" Maemo icon (one opening terminal as Easy Debian root)? This makes Chromium unusable from user, i.e. from LXDE, or from proper Maemo icon launching program directly. Same apply for LibreOffice.

Generally, using ED root terminal from within Maemo should be used *only* to do "root'ish" tasks - like dpkg-reconfigure locales, etc. In any other case, open regular Maemo terminal, and execute 'debbie'. This result in Ed terminal as 'user'.
---

.desktop files for Maemo - allowing to (hassle-free) launch Chromium and LibreOffice - are available as this post attachment. Untar it to (Maemo) /usr/share/applications/hildon/*

/Estel

*Easiest way to do it, is - as root:
Code:
mv location/where/you/saved/desktop-files.tar.gz /usr/share/applications/hildon/
cd /usr/share/applications/hildon
tar -xzvf desktop-files.tar.gz
after that, it's safe to remove tar archive:
Code:
rm desktop-files.tar.gz
Attached Files
File Type: gz desktop-files.tar.gz (478 Bytes, 89 views)
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-02-01 at 09:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
I will be very greatful is somebody tell me what to do after downloading the image file.I have placed it in MyDocs.Read the wiki ,installed chroot package.When I started the image installer it did not recognise the preloaded image.I dont know how to mount the image.Infact I have debian installed in my laptop and gparted is there.Please tell me in a simple manner.It would be joy to have squeeze.

Thank you.

first of all, You need to unpack img. Use lzma (from terminal, or any GUI program You like) to achieve it. For casual users, I strongly recommend unpacking on desktop/notebook, then transferring image file itself to N900. Without proper swap-related configuration of Your N900, You can have unresponsiveness/reboot problem while unpacking.

Unpacked image is 3GB file (ed-squeeze-final.ext3). Place it somewhere - for example, on MyDocs. Then, edit /home/user/.chroot file (You should have it, as You installed easy chroot), find appropriate line (every option is explained in #comments), and edit it, to point into Your file, i.e. /home/user/MyDocs/ed-squeeze-final.ext3.

Thats all. For more detailed informations, please refer to Easy Debian Wiki page.Also, keep in mind, that using image file, performance won't be amazing - 'cp -a' image file to dedicated partition (little more advanced topic) would give much better results.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
@impeham
I can't reproduce chromium behavior You've reported, when using "ctrl +" and "ctrl -" . In my case, pages are rendered correctly, and it's perfectly possible to drag page in any direction (yet, I'm using scrollbars anywhere, as I've written in last post - shouldn't matter, in that case). Are You sure, that it isn't related to some particular site?
After using it for a while, i noticed that it sometimes happens and sometimes not - it happened twice for maemo talk, but now it seems to work ok - i'll try to isolate to get what exactly is causing this.

Estel - how do you install the flash plugin? i noticed that it is not included even as disabled in the plugins list...

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thanks for testing, guys!
I'm announcing it just today, as I've first downloaded it, unpacked (also on device, so I'm 100% sure it will work using lzma -d, or ED installer), and tested.

The link haven't changed (I just replaced file):
http://lorienart.pl/cover/ed-squeeze-final.ext3.lzma

It can be mounted as ext3 and ext4 flawlessly. I've also successfully mounted it as ext2 and enabled LXDE, yet, haven't performed any further ext2-related testing.

/Estel
Please would you point to notes for installation and any "known issues". I can read perfectly well but get a bit lost on new territory - I become unsure if points made are "you need to know this" or merely "isn't interesting that...". The beauty and problem of all fora!
Things like - is it best to install on-device or on-SD? Does it need to be in its own partition or just plonked on the eMMC?
- a pointer to some clear advise that doesn't meander too much, would be greatly appreciated.

As an aside,
- I see it's running chromium as the main browser. Are mozilla ones just too unwealdy?
- Once this edit of ED becomes established, how easy would be to migrate libraries known to work on the N900 to the maemo repos? e.g. ffmpeg v0.7 (or at least 0.55) or RTMPdump 2.3 etc., etc.?

Great work people. Really looking forward to trying this out!

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
@ESTEL

I am very much pleased with your post.And i admire the fact that you did not tell me "if you dont know this you dont deserve this thing.

what I did is, downloaded the image of you and extracted in my linux laptop.Archive manager did all the thing for me.

Then I placed it in /home/user/MyDocs.Installed easy debian chroot package.

Then I had to edit the /home/user/.chroot in leafpad pointing to your image file.

At last I am typing this post in chromium web browser.

If you could tell me the size of dedicated partitions and locations I would do that to taste the speeds you people are experiencing.

On top of every thing,as qole suggested please start a new thread with a nice tutorial.

Thank you very much for this nice image.
EDIT: where did this thanks button go?

Last edited by udaychaitanya16; 2012-02-02 at 08:44.

@impeham
Well, i didn't did *anything* to enable flash. It should work out of the box... I use tweakflashversion (from Maemo) to "cheat" sites, that I use flash 10 - no idea, if it is relevant, or not. It was working (for me) with Iceweasel on old image, and it's working in Chromium same way.

I think I would remember doing anything "special" in ancient past, but who knows... Maybe someone else got an idea? Is it working for others, out of the box?

@demolition
As stated many times before in this thread (no problem, i understand, that it all may sounds confusing), best scenario is to use it on dedicated partition. Now, the "best of best" is to use it on eMMC *and* use (Maemo) swap on microSD *only* - no matter what type of card You have, it may be even slowest one. This gives performance benefit for whole Maemo, and to ED too, as added "bonus". If, for any reason, You still want to use swap on eMMC, it may be wise to have ED on dedicated partition - yet, in this case, it depends on SD card performance.

As for "why Chromium" - well, Iceweasel is too heavy/slow behemoth. Chromium is *much* faster - at the same time, providing most useful extensions (lazarus form recovery, scrollbars anywhere, etc), that we can find on Iceweasel.

Originally Posted by demolition
- Once this edit of ED becomes established, how easy would be to migrate libraries known to work on the N900 to the maemo repos? e.g. ffmpeg v0.7 (or at least 0.55) or RTMPdump 2.3 etc., etc.?
I have no idea. Just keep in mind, that we're chrooting here, so having thing working on ED, doesn't mean that it will work flawlessly in Maemo, and - more importantly - that Maemo components (especially, closed-source) will cooperate with new version.

For both You and udaychaitanya16 - to use ED from dedicated partition, just create one (via any tool, that You feel fancy), then - no matter if from within Maemo, or from desktop PC, with N900 connected and it's partitions reachable:

1. Mount (empty) dedicated partition that You've just created
2. Mount Your ED image (mount -o loop /path/to/ed-squeeze-final.ext3 /path/to/mountpoint)
3. cp -a /path/to/image/file/mountpoint/* /path/to/partition/mountpoint/
4. Edit /home/user/.chroot, to make it point into Your partition, instead of image file (for example, /dev/mmcblk0p4, if Your dedicated ED partition is 4th on eMMC).

That's all. Just remember, that to gain best speed benefits, You should have Your Maemo swap on microSD (with eMMC swap disabled *completely*). Further speed improvements are possible to gain via correct swap-related settings, as - most of the times - ED programs are quite swap-intensive - yet, swap settings are out of scope of this discussion.

/Estel

// Edit

udaychaitanya16 to use "Thanks" button, you need to verify Your email address from profile settings.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Bulgaria, Varna
Hi,

please help me with the following case. I have repartitioned my internal memory of N900. I made 8G for apps, 18G for MyDocs and remained approx 3G as ext3 for EasyDebian installation. It is /dev/mmcblk0p4 . The question is now how to mount it that Debian Image Installer to see it and to give me chance to install the image there. I have tried to make dir called "EasyDeb" in /home/user/ and to mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 to this dir, but installator did not recognize it as suitable. It gave me again to chose between MyDocs and mmc1. What I am doing wrong?

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze