Posts: 676 | Thanked: 1,067 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kyiv, Ukraine
TODO: move /tmp and some other dirs to tmpfs.

The Following User Says Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
REVISION: as downloaded yesterday night (can't test now)
MICROSD: 8gb class 10
BOOTLOADER: pali's U-Boot
OPTIONS: Everything default

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Add "setenv atagaddr ${init_atagaddr}" to your boot.scr

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Yay, it boots! But I just wrote the above command in the console, I don't have a boot.scr

Where can I find it, or how can I make one?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Yay, it boots! But I just wrote the above command in the console, I don't have a boot.scr

You can try copying chunks of code from install_chroot_part.sh in the chroot environment and then copy new boot.scr to fat partition. However, I didn't understand why you don't have boot.scr. Are you sure? Will return in 4 hours.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post:
I suppose, it's because MyDocs was still mounted on my computer when I run install.sh, I do have a boot.scr, but it's the old one from when I tried MeeGo CE

Thanks for the quick help

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:

see u-boot thread, how to create proper bootmenu entry - which is preffered way.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
I suppose, it's because MyDocs was still mounted on my computer when I run install.sh, I do have a boot.scr, but it's the old one from when I tried MeeGo CE
It should be on the first (FAT) partition of your microSD card, wasn't it created by script? Is it present on the second (EXT) partition?

Brief status report:

Boot.scr is on both EXT and FAT partition. U-boot boots correctly from sd if I run
Code:
setenv atagaddr $init_atagaddr
run sdboot
is that what it's supposed to do?

I was confused because I thought there should be an option on the u-boot menu (pali's) like MeeGoCE

Now I don't know how I got there but I have overlapping partitions on the SD.

On the installation options, i copied the contents /lib/firmware from the N900 on the computer in the folder ~/ubuntu-n900/firmware (probably this is irrelevant, but I want to be as specific as possible).

I chose my 8GB SD (/dev/sdd) and inputed the following
fat partition: 2
root partition: 4
swap: 1000

then I did the recommended dist-upgrade, and then I installed some extra packages from the list (nano, htop, ofono, telepathy and one or two more, but not the fso-thing)

During the dist-upgrade, fstab and something else (udev?) complained they couldn't find the root partition.

Finally I answered no to the question about chroot bash.

After boot start I get some errors about overlapping partitions (confirmed with gparted on PC) and swapon fails (along with something else that I don't remember) however ubuntu boots fine, and gets to graphics mode.

I could finish the start wizard successfully and get to unity (albeit extremely slowly - suppose due to no swap) There I can launch system settings and nautilus (didn't try firefox) but the dash emits an error and is empty (searching for the terminal returns nothing too)

That is all.

Thanks guys for the superb job, I will start all over again some time soon and report back. By the way, if I do the whole process with a card reader instead of the N900 connected in mass storage, should it work?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
U-boot boots correctly from sd if I run
Code:
setenv atagaddr $init_atagaddr
run sdboot
is that what it's supposed to do?
Thanks, added it to the first post. I don't have new U-Boot yet, so I can't test with it yet

I was confused because I thought there should be an option on the u-boot menu (pali's) like MeeGoCE
I would like to add bootmenu item generation, but since I can't test it someone else should do it. I will accept any form of patch Even more: I can share write access with someone.

Now I don't know how I got there but I have overlapping partitions on the SD.
It's something in the Ubuntu itself, probably jasper-initramfs. I will try to fix it. If you feel like you can do this - feel free to dig it

On the installation options, i copied the contents /lib/firmware from the N900 on the computer in the folder ~/ubuntu-n900/firmware (probably this is irrelevant, but I want to be as specific as possible).
You've done everything right. It should be exactly in firmware subfolder of project's folder. I didn't include it in the branch because I'm not sure about licencing.

During the dist-upgrade, fstab and something else (udev?) complained they couldn't find the root partition.
Yeah, I've seen it too. But I'm not sure yet if that affects anything.

and swapon fails
Is it just for /SWAP.swap? I'm going to get rid of it tomorrow.

(albeit extremely slowly - suppose due to no swap)
There was swap in my case despite fail on start and it was heavily used: 256Mb is not enough for 12.04 with Unity. And I suppose the slowness is the result of microSD speed.

but the dash emits an error and is empty (searching for the terminal returns nothing too)
I didn't have this errors just yesterday, launched exactly terminal through it. Another reminder of a development branch.

I will start all over again some time soon and report back.
Thank you too I'm planning some script updates tomorrow in the morning and I need someone with new U-Boot to help with it. I hope PanzerSajt will be online and I will be glad to see everyone on #kubuntu-mobile@freenode around 11:00 EET ( $ date -d "2012-03-07 11:00 EET" ).

By the way, if I do the whole process with a card reader instead of the N900 connected in mass storage, should it work?
Yes, it should work

Last edited by int_ua; 2012-03-07 at 05:08.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to int_ua For This Useful Post: