Active Topics

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by vitamina View Post
I think bigger software producer like ubi dont have problems to publish apps to ovi
You seriously think so?

I think we would see more stuff in Store even from big companies, if they wouldn't have to resort to "my CEO will call your CEO and try to push things going".

It is clear that nokia left n900/maemo5 half baked, including ovi store.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Bangkok
Originally Posted by smoothc View Post
It is clear that nokia left n900/maemo5 half baked, including ovi store.

so ..., how long Ovi support MeeGo and Other Device?
Sound Look Like ...Nokia and Ovi become fail in Smartphone Maket and Application Store.

Why Nokia do not Accept Android to be Nokia OS?

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Well... I spent a lot of effort to prepare application for the Store + €50 entry fee.
And hit such a basic bug...

I'm not willing to try it again with MeeGo...

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 334 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel.
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Well... I spent a lot of effort to prepare application for the Store + €50 entry fee.
And hit such a basic bug...

I'm not willing to try it again with MeeGo...
50 Euro to me sounds a lot for an OS with such small exposure.
I feel your frustration, and even though Meego is step 5 of the 5 step plan, it's quite scary as a developer to make all this poring + preparation + payment to publish in ovi, even for Meego / Symbian (Qt) when who knows if nokia decides to ditch Qt altogether next year.

It seems to me that Nokia is not really thinking ahead enough, and when they are confronted for answers, they only reveal so much, because the practically don't know themselves.

I consider this very post (my own) a bit as trolling, cause I am displayed the negative side of things, but I do want to state that when I consider the alternative, Buying IPhone or Android, I get a little depressed and start imagining how wonderful it would be if I could get meego, for atleast 5 years of "Attention" from nokia, with proper hardware, and still have the linux infrastructure allowing amazing people like rambo to write amazing apps like mobile hotspot.

In the meantime, it's a day by day struggle, to keep using the N900, and wait for meego. If I survive the game 6 months, maybe i'll be a meego owner

Cheers.
| DonateMe - If you feel I helped you in a very good way, feel free to donate |

The Following User Says Thank You to eitama For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Rockville, MD, USA
Ovi is not designed to support N900 well.

#1 : If you are a publisher, neither Ovi nor N900 can offer to you a DRM mechanism to protect your application from cloning and re-distributing freely. So, you need to build in some kind of DRM mechanism yourself and operate a web service in addition to Ovi to register and grand the keys to legit users.

#2 : If, by any chance, your app depends on libraries from fremantle-extras, there is no easy way for your app to trigger dependencies installation. There is a firewall between Ovi repository and frematle-extras. Some people provide a meta-package in extras and ask users to install it as a part of post-install process from Ovi -- but that is by no mean a reasonable solution.

#3 : Profit sharing with Ovi is to say the least *misleading*. Counting in (or out) operator transaction fees, you might expect only about 25 cents on a dollar charged to the end user *before* currency conversion and wire fees charged by your local bank. So, if you are in US selling your app in EU, you would have hard time actually making any money. Don't forget that you would also need to pay your Fed/State taxes to IRS as paying taxes from revenue is publisher's responsibility.

#4 : Revenue distribution -- is done by Nokia every 90 days if it reaches $500.0. If not, end of business year.

#5 : To publish your app with Ovi, you would need:
  1. TaxID
  2. Website for your product
  3. e-mail address for product support
  4. Company logo
  5. $1M insurance to cover your content.
  6. Pay $50 to register as publisher

#6 : Pass Ovi's Q/A -- Ovi staff in no rush to help you get your app to the market. From what I gather, it might take 2 month for it to appear in the store.

So, the bottom line, Ovi for Maemo5 is a joke not worth of even considering, IMHO.

Before you dive in, carefully read Ovi's Publisher Terms & Conditions and consider your options.

Realistically, your options are either
  1. Publish via Fremantle Extras nonfree.
  2. Publish from your own .deb repository.

Both options would require from you to run a web-based business shop and implement your own DRM.

I believe, both options have been used by people here.

Clearly, N900 Maemo5 still remains a hack cultural device not meant by its creators to seriously grow a commercial following of any kind.

The MeeGo, on the other hand, would offer DRM lock-down from bottom up and I am sure Nokia would improve Ovi store experience for MeeGo device.

If people familiar with this issue have first-hand experience to sell and deliver paid contents to N900, I would be more than grateful for them to correct me in any way and to share their thoughts and experiences.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vlg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
please Smoku
we want your enhanced amiga port!

Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
I wonder why someone hasn't filed a legal case against Nokia : with all the false advertising (in the UK at least with the N900), lack of customer service/device support and a useless Ovi store.

Just yesterday I saw Nokia's new advert on TV about how fantastic the Ovi store is; my friends where oblivious as to why I was laughing so much.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jd4200 View Post
I wonder why someone hasn't filed a legal case against Nokia : with all the false advertising (in the UK at least with the N900), lack of customer service/device support and a useless Ovi store.

Just yesterday I saw Nokia's new advert on TV about how fantastic the Ovi store is; my friends where oblivious as to why I was laughing so much.
Can't sue people for stuff that barely works despite claims otherwise people would sue Microsoft every damn day.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 451 | Thanked: 424 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Can't sue people for stuff that barely works despite claims otherwise people would sue Microsoft every damn day.
Oh.
I've heard in America you can sue someone for almost anything, think I'd have any luck over there?

Tags
ovi store