Notices

Please forgive me if this is answered somewhere else, I searched around, and looked at a few threads about streaming, or media player, and checked in application manager to see if there was a specific app that accomplishes this, but to tell you the truth, I wasn't even sure about what I was looking at.

Essentially, I was wondering if the N900 is able to view streaming video. I just started using this handy program called Webcam Monitor, it's very cool, essentially like a PC controlled security camera. Detects motion or noise, and then starts recording, sends you an email/sms alert, and also can broadcast a live streaming video of your cameras current video capture.

So...after setting it up, I'm supposed to access mms://myipaddress : port, from a browser, and voila it should work. I put that in MicroB, and it went strait to media player, but it said it couldn't access it...and it says unable to play media. Media format not supported. I actually just tried it in firefox on my pc...and looks like it doesnt even work there either...could be I just havent set it up correctly yet.

But nevertheless, it would be great to know if the N900 has this capability at least. Can this be done as is? Or is it necessary to acquire another app that can do this? Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
MPlayer should be able to play it, it's a command line program though. Not sure if you can see it in the Application Manager(I installed it from the command line).

The Following User Says Thank You to ToJa92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
theres extra decoder support which may help if its a codec issue, but if firefox isn't playing it its probably another problem. default media player does support streaming, but i haven't used it often.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
theres extra decoder support which may help if its a codec issue, but if firefox isn't playing it its probably another problem. default media player does support streaming, but i haven't used it often.
*** I had installed the extra codec support a while ago ***

Apologies on very late followup...turns out i forgot to setup port forwarding for that specific port it is broadcasting on in my router. After doing so, putting in mms://IP:PORT in MicroB opens media player, if buffers quite quick on wifi, and then streams!

What's also nice is the fact that you can save a video bookmark for that specific address, so now its available at a couple of clicks!

I highly recommend this program, Webcam Monitor...I'll be honest, I tried to find it on the Bay...but ended up buying it anyway, and it's well worth it