Notices

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Near: Gilroy, CA
Thank you so much for this app! This is leaps and bounds better than the VNC clients I've used before on any touchscreen device that I have owned.

One (extremely) small artifact that I noticed during my quick testing is that using drag to scroll when in fullscreen mode also moves the mouse for a quick second on the host's screen. Just seems like a timing issue, but it doesn't cause me any issues, since it doesn't actually send a click event.

Having left and right click assigned to the rocker is EXCELLENT. This allows me to use my N900 as a powerpoint controller and keep the mouse over the "next" button while having my notes in view.

Also, thanks zvogt for the tip about appending the screen number to your IP. Anyone else who is having problems with it not connecting should append ":0" or ":1" to your IP address, and it should connect just fine.

Virtual keyboard launch by a toolbar button would be excellent too-- not super necessary for what I need, but it would be nice for quick data input without being super obvious while using this as a presenter remote with powerpoint.

Thanks so much! This is excellent!
http://thecubed.com

Originally Posted by thecubed View Post
Also, thanks zvogt for the tip about appending the screen number to your IP. Anyone else who is having problems with it not connecting should append ":0" or ":1" to your IP address, and it should connect just fine.
I asume that is because you set up your VNC server that way. I had no problem connecting using just an IP address.

One thing I noticed is the the long press for number in the password box gives key-repeat not the number.

Looks very promising, looking forward to watching this app mature as I use VNC a lot.

I'm getting alot of screen tearing after scrolling.
It also hogs the CPU, phone becomes slow. (remote desktop is 5120 x 1600 don't know if this could be the problem)

What would be nice is a double tap on the screen to zoom out to the full desktop, then tap to zoom back into the selected area instead of the top right corner.

Also tapping on the screen shouldn't send a mouse click as the volume buttons do the mouse click. The reason for this is my PC is set up for hover to select, single click to activate, not double click, causes me problems.

The app doesn't go to sleep when it doesn't have focus, continues to hog the CPU.

Any chance of a list of previous servers with an option to save the password.

Sorry, looks like I am getting a bit demanding.

I forgot to mention that you can also connect to a specific server from the command line:
Code:
presencevnc vnc://:password@hostname:display
with password and display being optional (e.g. vnc://hostname)

If you want to try the quality settings, you can add a second argument,
1 for best quality
2 default
3 looks pretty bad

I've also noticed that dismissing the password dialog or giving a wrong password on the command line results in the program not closing properly and draining battery... (use killall presencevnc-bin or stop the server if that happens to you)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cpulvermacher For This Useful Post:
when i try to connect to my local tightvnc server i get "unknown encoding 'tight'" and then Segmentation Fault

is it not compatible with tightvnc? if so what server is compatible?

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Also tapping on the screen shouldn't send a mouse click as the volume buttons do the mouse click. The reason for this is my PC is set up for hover to select, single click to activate, not double click, causes me problems.
I was a bit unsure how to implement moving the mouse without clicking, right now you can do that by pressing the screen longer than you would for a single click.
I'm not sure if that helps; but I'll propably add an option to disable tapping at some point.

Thanks for your great feedback

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cpulvermacher For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by CrckMc View Post
when i try to connect to my local tightvnc server i get "unknown encoding 'tight'" and then Segmentation Fault

is it not compatible with tightvnc? if so what server is compatible?
I've tried realvnc on Windows and x11vnc, but I think at least x11vnc also uses the 'tight' encoding.
I'm afraid the segfault happens every time the program is closed, so I'm not sure why you can't connect.

Hm, connecting to tightvncserver works here, weird.

Last edited by cpulvermacher; 2010-08-02 at 10:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to cpulvermacher For This Useful Post:
thats really crazy. do you get the "unknown encoding 'tight'" message?

No, what version of tightvncserver are you running? I'm using 1.3.9-6.1 on Debian, which seems a bit dated.

The Following User Says Thank You to cpulvermacher For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cpulvermacher View Post
I was a bit unsure how to implement moving the mouse without clicking, right now you can do that by pressing the screen longer than you would for a single click.
I'm not sure if that helps; but I'll propably add an option to disable tapping at some point.
Thanks for that info, didn't realize it worked that way, will experiment.
May be a page with instructions on the status bar pull down may clear thinks up.

Originally Posted by CrckMc View Post
thats really crazy. do you get the "unknown encoding 'tight'" message?
I'm using TightVNC v1.3.10 on XP and it works find. Not tried the newer version of TightVNC v2.0.2 though.