Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sorry Cop, but I don't get it. Are you advocating embezzlement?

Besides, why should anyone gain anything from being a Council member? Does history not teach us that being able to gain from being on a committee is exactly the root of the problem?
Perhaps I'm just guilty of PWG (posting while grumpy) again. But man, one thing that history tells us is that making positions of power a thankless job just ensures that people of quality stay far, far away from them. Honestly, if there are people in this community who are deserving of rewards, why should we try and keep them away from serving on the Council?

It's true, I probably haven't been keeping up with events here as thoroughly as I should. But I've gotta say, the message I'm hearing here is that service on the committee here is of less value than an N950. And that members here are watching your every move, and will pounce if they see anything untoward in your actions.

You want to ensure that anyone who serves as a Council member gains absolutely nothing from their efforts? That it is, both figuratively and literally, a thankless job? Great then, I hope you'll be happy with the quality of folks who step up to serve.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Perhaps I'm just guilty of PWG (posting while grumpy) again. But man, one thing that history tells us is that making positions of power a thankless job just ensures that people of quality stay far, far away from them. Honestly, if there are people in this community who are deserving of rewards, why should we try and keep them away from serving on the Council?

It's true, I probably haven't been keeping up with events here as thoroughly as I should. But I've gotta say, the message I'm hearing here is that service on the committee here is of less value than an N950. And that members here are watching your every move, and will pounce if they see anything untoward in your actions.

You want to ensure that anyone who serves as a Council member gains absolutely nothing from their efforts? That it is, both figuratively and literally, a thankless job? Great then, I hope you'll be happy with the quality of folks who step up to serve.
I advice to you read the whole thread of conversation (it is long) and see arguments from both sides.
But the main problem (which we would not argue about again) was that you can't participate in competition and judge at the same time.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
I advice to you read the whole thread of conversation (it is long) and see arguments from both sides.
But the main problem (which we would not argue about again) was that you can't participate in competition and judge at the same time.
I clearly didnt deserve a device ...
But please keep this thread on topic

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sorry Cop, but I don't get it. Are you advocating embezzlement?

Besides, why should anyone gain anything from being a Council member? Does history not teach us that being able to gain from being on a committee is exactly the root of the problem?
I was a council member; I received nothing for my duties. I did my duty originally with gusto, but got busy near the end but those guys really did not need my participation. What I did, I honestly enjoyed it... just wished my work schedule did not ramp up as it did.

But that's all history now. Support the current council is my advice.

Rehashing old stuff like Estel and that council getting N950's is old news. The fact that this project will invariably never deliver is the current grievance. Focus on that.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Father: I want you to marry a girl of my choice.
Son: "I will choose my own bride!"
Father: "But, the girl is Bill Gates's daughter."
Son: "Well, in that case...OK"

Next Day

Father approaches Bill Gates.
Father: "I have a husband for your daughter."
Bill Gates: "But, my daughter is too young to marry!"
Father: "But, this young man is a Vice-President of the World Bank."
Bill Gates: "Ah, in that case... OK"

Finally Father goes to see the President of the World Bank.

Father: "I have a young man to be recommended as a vice-president. "
President: "But, I already have more Vice- Presidents than I need!"
Father: "But, this young man is Bill Gates's son-in-law."
President: "Ah, in that case... OK"

Moral: Even if you have nothing, you can get anything
1010 chars

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
The main problem (which we would not argue about again) was that you can't participate in competition and judge at the same time.
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
That one did not stick well with me either.
Which is precisely why I did not put my name in the hat. Even with two of the members being viable candidates (IMHO) for work done outside of council, the perception of impropriety was enough that I nearly withdrew from the process completely. In retrospect that's one of the two top regrets I have from my time as Council/Board; that I didn't stick to my guns on that issue and abstain from participating at all.

Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
But please keep this thread on topic
As for my predictions on this project, those were based on my knowledge of the person leading the project. The mentioned issue, and others, and his track record on doing / completing things "for the community" that weren't directly beneficial to him in some way. Leopards don't change their spots.

If it's any consolation, I'm sad that I was right; on this and so many other things. Over all I'm happy that things are where they are now, the community is in good hands from where I sit. But to know how well things could have gone, versus where there did... That's a large part of why I'm no longer really here.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Without any com from Estel this thread and project is naturally (since it IS in a thread which IS a forum for discussion ) scrutinized and commented upon.... and rightly so.
Concern and / or upset is natural given.

I do believe (and have felt for a long time now) there is more to the issue which deepens the concern (at least for me that is...)
The most recent developments which have come to my attention strengthen my concern.

I'll explain.

Long time gone now...
what was it?
Spring of 2015 I think.
I mentioned that I was looking to find a member here who was / is a developer who would be interested in a n800 and n810 which I would donate and ship to...
Estel contacted me via private message... with interest.
Gave me his address...
and I shipped an n800 and n810 off to him a heartbeat later.
I made no mistake with the address.
Today I just received it in the mail.
It made it all the way there...
spent along time sitting in postal offices...
and then sent back
"Return to sender address unknown."
untampered ...unopened.

So ...yes ...
people who have put money into the project do have a right to concern and /or upset.

Concern over the silence out of the project ..
Upset that there is no timely conclusion to the project.
Upset that there is no product to date.
Upset that there has been no consistent communication.

But I (have said before ...and certainly even more now) do believe this upset should be tempered with a very large dose of concern for this fellow members welfare.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Well, his last activity online was 22-08-2015. So, endsormean, I would say he is alright. Maybe he changed adress in the mean time?
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Wizard of Huz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Perhaps he did change his address ..
the parcel would have arrived to him no later than a month after he had given me his address...so I do find that odd.
Also most people have a change of address put in to route their mail to their new residence...
Perhaps it is avoidance.
I cannot discount that anymore than anyone else.
It just seems awfully abrupt a disappearance considering the projects last reported successes and the projects nearing completion.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Call me a creep, but I found one of his relatives on facebook and asked if he's ok. It looks like he's alive and healthy, but as I understood it some serious private life issues kept him from engaging in any hobby activities.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel