For whoever said they pried out the battery with a credit card THANK YOU!! My Nokia has been having the same problem as everyone elses and refuses to turn on. I attempted to get the battery out before but failed (quite miserably) and as the Nokia was a present from my papa and I'd already broken the one he gave me before (so not my fault, the whole thing was all glitchy) I couldn't exactly go to anyone for help. Seriously, there was no way I could tell anyone. Thankfully I found this thread! I could't get the battery out at all and none of the buttons were working. I then came upon the credit card post (3rd page I think) and tried to do the same thing using my student id. It worked! The battery basically flipped out and I waited for a while and then put it back in. Now my Nokia works fine and actually turns on! Good luck to the rest of you who haven't been able to fix yours yet!

Originally Posted by myk View Post
  • Why are you powering it off? This is an alway-on gadget.

Mike
It can be an always-on device, but sometimes restarting is needed for various reasons, some of which might include software installs, which I'd imagine would be quite plentiful on a new device. That would facilitate powering off, first.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Send it to me and I'll throw it away for you!

Regards...

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by virion View Post
It can be an always-on device, but sometimes restarting is needed for various reasons.
You don't need to power it off for a reboot, though it may need the command line.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Ireland
Hi All
I have the opposite problem, I can't get the power off button to work. The sudo shutdown just reboots the device. Although Myk you are right in that it is an always on device, I use the power button for offline / aircraft mode and to screen lock.
Powering up isn't a problem, I wonder if the wonderful people who create these updates updated too far to keep the N800 running.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
hardware problem? Does reflashing a clean system fix it?