Active Topics

I've just started seeing the message "Operation temporarily disabled due to low memory" and also web pages stop loading in the browser and the browser becomes non-responsive. I'm clearly running low on memory and sometimes rebooting helps, but I can't tell why I'm running out of memory or how to correct the problem. I don't know if deleting an application is required or which application to stop from running. I'm using an N810 and suspect I've got too many applications in the internal memory, but can't tell how to fix it. I don't want to randomly remove programs that might make no difference. I have the diskusage program, but don't know what the limitations on the memory really are. Any suggestions?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Enable swap under the Memory item in Control panel, and delete the ~30MB of documentation PDFs from /home/user/.MyDocs/Documents/.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Make sure you aren't saving your data to the flash memory, that is, to subdirectories of /home/user/.MyDocs/ but that you're saving them to the MMC (SD card). If you end up desperate, you end up cloning (see my sig below); but it's a very rare case that your apps-and-OS alone take up all the room in the flash memory.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

I removed most of the PDF files a long time ago and I'm not saving documents to MyDocs. I am seeing some files cached to the /home/user area, but not any of the downloads. I see about 38Mbytes used in /home/user. I added to the swap space (it was already 128MBytes) and rebooted, but I still get the same message

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I don't know what your problem is, but my experience is that uninstalling programs through the App Mgr is handled very gracefully. And then, after you've uninstalled them, they magically appear as entries in Installable Apps and are all ready to get installed again. So there is little pain involved in going back and forth. I don't know if you have the mapping program and maps installed, but I think that's a great space hog.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

I removed gnumeric (which said it was 13Mbytes) and it seems better now. I've not found that removing/upgrading/installing apps are all that smooth, since dependencies aren't handled very well by many. I have 4 apps listed as upgrades at the moment, but can't be upgraded because of hidden dependencies.

Although it has improved, I'm still seeing memory problems that I hadn't encountered until recently. After having been up and running for awhile, without running additional applications, the system will tell me that the "E-mail" system has aborted. Also, frequently I can't fire up the browser from the RSS application and then the machine will lock up. In addition, I've noticed that the unit consumes its battery just sitting there. The battery will die in a couple of hours. Now it comes up and says that there are too many applications open (when there is just one user application). I do see many applications running from the system tray, but little to explain what they are. Perhaps there is some application running and consuming the CPU and memory? I see something called metalayer-crawler that says it has a load of 337%! How can that be?

I think I figured out the problem. On another thread, it was suggested to put a link to the Root file system so that one could navigate to it from the file manager. There was a mention of the fact that that could cause some performance problems. I think the meta-crawler (mentioned above) was in some kind of tight loop stealing CPU cycles, and burning up the battery as well as making other applications difficult to launch. Removing that link brings the system back to its more "normal" behavior I was seeing earlier.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I encountered an interesting behavior in 30-2. As of today my browser crashes on start with the above message before closing. Reboot doesn't help. I can start it as root though.

When started as user with maemo-summoner instead of maemo-invoker, it spews out these two messages:

Code:
GLIB DEBUG default - g == 0x0 should do something about not being able to connect
GLIB CRITICAL ** default - LOW Mem: connection to server fail: exiting
then dies. I first saw that behavior, after loading an URL through dbus-send, but i don't believe that caused it. Everything else works normal.

My free memory is:

Code:
              total         used         free       shared      buffers
  Mem:       126648       122600         4048            0         4468
 Swap:       255992          148       255844
Total:       382640       122748       259892
And my free space is:

Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1            4.0M      2.3M      1.7M  57% /mnt/initfs
none                    512.0k     92.0k    420.0k  18% /mnt/initfs/tmp
/dev/mmcblk0p1            3.0G      2.4G    428.1M  85% /
none                    512.0k     92.0k    420.0k  18% /tmp
none                      1.0M     68.0k    956.0k   7% /dev
tmpfs                     1.0M         0      1.0M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mmcblk1p1            6.4G      6.3G     92.7M  99% /media/mmc1
/dev/mmcblk0p2            4.6G      4.2G    322.2M  93% /media/mmc2
So the problem may well be elsewhere. Someone encountered something similar?

EDIT: fsck doesn't seem to help either.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2008-08-13 at 08:04.

I now have the same problem as Bundyo. Before and after the feature upgrade. Reboots don't help.

Plenty of memory left over for the browser... Hm...