Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by powder2000 View Post
Will the 770 support that large of a memory card? I thought it was 2 GB.
4GB SD and MMC yes, >=4 GB SDHC not without SDHC patched kernel but such patch is not a problem. I have actually bought 4GB SDHC mini card for this mod to make and test such SDHC patched kernel. Otherwise plain SD (i.e. not HC) would be better choice for 4GB size.

Thanks for your tips for opening the case, not sure when I'll have next window of opportunity for this mod but I hope it will be easier next time thanks to the info you provided.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by powder2000 View Post
On another note, I did reinstall 2006 over 2007he and it seems to be a little more stable for me. I don't know what the speed differences are but I suspect the 2007he didn't like using virtual memory on my sd card. It seemed to slow things down.
2007he uses same linux kernel as 2006 so virtual memory handling and swapping is exactly the same. But still, perhaps the 2007HE stresses the memory more so such instability may be more visible.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
4GB SD and MMC yes, >=4 GB SDHC not without SDHC patched kernel but such patch is not a problem. I have actually bought 4GB SDHC mini card for this mod to make and test such SDHC patched kernel. Otherwise plain SD (i.e. not HC) would be better choice for 4GB size.

Thanks for your tips for opening the case, not sure when I'll have next window of opportunity for this mod but I hope it will be easier next time thanks to the info you provided.
On another note, after finishing the hardware mod, when you go to check to see if the memory is recognized, you may have to check the virtual memory box to see the memory card. I had issues with this after I finished and thought the card wasn't recognized.

Inside the 770.

holy crap. I forgot about this thread. Thanks guys for exploring so many options. I'm going to buy two of those Worlds Smallest 2-in-1 Trio TransFlash USB Card Reader things since they are so cheap. Even if they don't work for hacking, I can use them for other stuff. TF cards are getting cheaper and cheaper.

Great thread... lot of ideas and finally microSD in shortened "Trio TransFlash USB Card Reader" (thanks to littlestone) is working
Actually, I took disassembling instructions from (new299) new299 blog The way of removing cover of RSMMC socket was there as well...

Here we go. It is possible to use good old RSMMC and shortened microSD adapter in the same (modified) slot.
MMC RS 18mm x 24mm x 1.4mm
Adapter (after removing USB part and little bit more) 19.5mm x 24mm x 2.2mm

770 mod (I failed to make lock mechanism work properly - removing cards is not easy after modification. I don't do it often anyway)
1. Disassemble (covered in new299 blog)
2. Remove RSMMC cover and lock mechanism (covered in new299 blog), don't break MMC detect switch. Switch works fine after modification.
3. Carefully bend exposed contacts. (They should be around 1mm higher)
4. Glue cover back to the plastic part of the socket, but not into original position. Cover should be 0.8-1mm higher then original.

Adapter mod:
1. Disassemble adapter. Build quality is too bad. Remove excess of glue inside. Place cover back. Make sure that plastic and contact parts on the same level.
2. Cut off USB part and around 1 mm from board and plastic cover.
3. Glue everything back. Make sure that plastic and contact parts on the same level (!!!). If not you will end up with card stuck forever inside adapter.

Currently I have only one Kingston (cheap and slow) 1G microSD for tests:
(fanoush "speedy" kernel):
~ $ uname -a
Linux Nokia-N800-48 2.6.16.27-omap1 #8 PREEMPT Mon Nov 13 21:15:26 CET 2006 armv5tejl unknown
(Kingston - slow MicroSD 1GB):
/home/user # time dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2 of=/dev/null bs=8192 count=10000
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
real 0m 34.76s
user 0m 0.03s
sys 0m 2.96s
(MMC 2GB Kingston):
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
real 0m 16.90s
user 0m 0.04s
sys 0m 3.41s

(original Nokia kernel)
~ $ uname -a
Linux Nokia-N800-48 2.6.16.27-omap1 #1 PREEMPT Tue Sep 19 16:46:58 EEST 2006 armv5tejl unknown
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
real 1m 2.02s
user 0m 0.03s
sys 0m 2.78s
(MMC 2GB Kingston):
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
real 1m 0.97s
user 0m 0.07s
sys 0m 2.74s

No comments about speed testing - thank you, fanoush! (just waiting for new initfs with WLAN memory corruption fix ...)
Today is 10-th day when my main 770 is running OK using 1G microSD in adapter with boot from MMC, sorry, microSD, into 2007HE-2.

Thanks everybody again for a lot of great ideas!

serge48

PS. Still tempting to order 6G microSD (I know, I'll need new kernel), 8G card is only available for preorder in UK.
PPS. I'll put some images tomorrow. Just changed notebook and should sort it out first.

The Following User Says Thank You to serge48 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by serge48 View Post
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
real 0m 34.76s
user 0m 0.03s
sys 0m 2.96s
(MMC 2GB Kingston):
10000+0 records in
10000+0 records out
real 0m 16.90s
user 0m 0.04s
sys 0m 3.41s
Noticed new posts in this thread only today. SD card speed result above is twice as slow since there is no high speed SD mode in my kernel (only high speed MMCplus mode which is different). I have SD high speed mode enabled as part of my unreleased SDHC kernel. Will post some testing version soon. Check this thread for possible progress.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
I managed to use the current memory socket, by grinding down the front on my "SD to microSD" card.

I removed the Flap on the 770 and put a bit of plastic were the micro switch is. As to keep the switch on.

So I am now able to use RSMMC, MMCPlus and microSD cards

I tried to put a SD socket inside the 770, but it was to thick.

Originally Posted by machinehead0 View Post
I managed to use the current memory socket, by grinding down the front on my "SD to microSD" card.
Any photos of your modifications? So you only cut the adapter to make it shorter and otherwise it was thin enough?

Or you made it thinner and let the length as is?

I only made the contact end thiner. But keep the length the same.

Note: I also added a bit of tape over the protruding end to stop the card accidentally coming out.

Is there any way to power off the memory card by the CLI. Or would this be done by unmounting it?