Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I wouldn't define it that way. I think the best definition is the amount of maemo software development that goes on here, which is less than half of what it was two years ago.
I wouldn't pigeon hole the community as just developer or voters or whatnot. What we have here (imo) is a very diverse community that consists of people with very different interests. For some the community is about development, for some about finding new applications, for some general chitchat with like minded people, etc. All of them are members of this community and devs/hackers have been the minority here for a long time.

That said, true that there aren't as many active (maemo) devs here as there used to be. I actually would be surprised if there were. But look at the bright side, regardless of events during the past two years there are still a number of people doing development. Could be worse.

Also, the number of people willing to participate in community "politics" is always significally lower that the actual member count.

oh, and congrats to the new council.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
So the effort going on on cssu can live on e.g. when cordia runs fine on mer. And make sure that nemo apps can run too on it.
Well... This already happened.

In current Cordia HD we have the most recent GLib/GTK+ of 2.x line, with all Fremantle patches ported, running on current Mer Core.
This codebase is able to run CSSU version of Hildon-Desktop with just minimal changes required to disable hardwired dependencies on Nokia's closed components.

We have a more pressing issues to resolve first (like getting WiFi management plugin, XTerm or virtual keayboard), but I'm pretty sure that if someone got current Modest repackeged to RPM, it would run out-of-box.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
I wouldn't pigeon hole the community as just developer or voters or whatnot. What we have here (imo) is a very diverse community that consists of people with very different interests. For some the community is about development, for some about finding new applications, for some general chitchat with like minded people, etc. All of them are members of this community and devs/hackers have been the minority here for a long time.

That said, true that there aren't as many active (maemo) devs here as there used to be. I actually would be surprised if there were. But look at the bright side, regardless of events during the past two years there are still a number of people doing development. Could be worse.

Also, the number of people willing to participate in community "politics" is always significally lower that the actual member count.

oh, and congrats to the new council.
Well, I've always thought it important to have a diverse membership in the community, including lots of users, and wasn't trying to pigeon hole into anything. Don't understand why you would characterize it that way. Users do notice when the number of new applications and other software development decreases.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
the simple fact that there are many more users interested in an N950 (or even only a N9) then ever were in a seat in the Council says what the community is all about...
if not developing then at least playing around with a gadget
even a useful gadget

maybe you could drop the argument about how dead or alive the community is, remove the election Logo from the TMO banner & get down to work?

would it be an idea to start a thread

Council Q2 - 2012

or something, where you could post
  • plan for the ½ year
  • achievements thereof,
  • decision,
  • events and
  • communications from NOKIA
  • transcripts of the Council meetings
  • and whatnot...
as they happen?

eventually it could of course also server to follow the progress of the Community and grade the Council in six months...

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
You can already check communications from the Council in Council's blog, dedicated TMO threads (not a single one as topics may vary) and though mailing lists.

Agreed that the banner now should be removed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
You can already check communications from the Council in Council's blog, dedicated TMO threads (not a single one as topics may vary) and though mailing lists.

Agreed that the banner now should be removed.
hey, no need to defend your actions or way of doing things.
just an idea to try to help you (collectively) making the best out of the time that is given to you...

appreciate that distributing the devices is nbr. 1 right now, but hopefully won't keep you busy six months, right (?)
all five candidates had different ideas and it may help the Council to define a common line.

and once that is done, it wouldn't cost much to put it up somewhere, would it?

if i remember correctly, several of the then candidates and now Council members mentioned transparent communication as one of their objectives...
having a dedicated thread for the Q2 2012 Council would be an easy way of doing this...

those weren't real elections, with broken promises & all, were they?

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down