Is there ANYBODY that has succeeded in playing a 720p mkv file on their N900??

Because to my understanding, it looks like it's 100% impossible... Unless you scale it down, but then I hate that because it is no longer a 720p file... And streaming is completly useless and I refuse to do so... Most of my tv shows and movies are 720p (some are 1080p but it would be ridiculous to put an 8gb movie on a small device, lol) and I would really like to have them on my tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to IsaacDFP For This Useful Post:
Don't worry, other devices in this size class won't play 720p MKVs either - Android devices have only just gotten decent DivX playback, and that doesn't even work on first-gen devices at all.

Hell, even my Moto Milestone struggles with DivX on Android (somehow I get the feeling that Android is very inefficient for stuff like this), even though it's got the same CPU as the N900... So count yourself lucky

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Is it not still ridiculous to allocate 4+ gig for a 720p file in a tricky container to be played on 480p 3.5" screen?
My tv shows are ~500mb for a 20 minutes segment, and no, i don't find that ridiculous. Okay, maybe I won't put +4gb for a movie, but still, 720p episodes are pretty handy.

Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Don't worry, other devices in this size class won't play 720p MKVs either
Ahhh, I see... I thought the N900 was one of the only devices that COULDN'T play those files, lol, but it's all the opposite :S
Well... I guess I'm just ahead of my time then. Hopefully next-gen devices will be HD-capable, now to play the waiting game...

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by omeriko9 View Post
This didn't help?
late answer/question, i know, but nevertheless: does this help actually playing the files or just make the n900 recognise them?

since the post from zaheerm is from october 2009, is there anything new today?

i tried the knots2-player and it works with my 720p mkv-files, but using knots is not a very convenient solution to me, especially since the player is really not very usable.

Last edited by msa; 2010-07-16 at 19:12.

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ United States
I think we may just have to wait for an official VLC

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by itsANDREW View Post
I think we may just have to wait for an official VLC
VLC is already in extra!!!

I can get it to play back 720p at 3-4fps with mplayer but it pegs the cpu even with the following switches:
Code:
mplayer -vo x11 -vf scale=800:480 -ao pulse -vfm ffmpeg -lavdopts fast:skiploopfilter=all -autosync 30 file.mkv
I tried the lavdopts lowres=1 but it caught an exception and died.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
To get the n900 media player to recognise mkv files, you need to do as root after installing the extra gstreamer packages:

tracker-register-mimetype -c Videos -a video/x-matroska

I guess someone should create a meta package for all the container types not supported and have this kind of command added to the postinstall of the package
I can see the matroska videos in the media player but I get an 'unsupported media' when I click on them....BUT I can play them just fine on KMplayer.strange.....

The Following User Says Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Wales
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
To get the n900 media player to recognise mkv files, you need to do as root after installing the extra gstreamer packages:

tracker-register-mimetype -c Videos -a video/x-matroska

I guess someone should create a meta package for all the container types not supported and have this kind of command added to the postinstall of the package
How do you undo this? Since I did this I can find my music throw the media player.

Nokia N900 - Kernel V47 OC'd at 1.15mhz, CSSU, BleedingEdge, 64gb, H-E-N.

Need a ROM for an emulator on the N900? Then send me a message and Thank me in return.

If I help you somehow in a post then please press thanks next to it!

Message me @ Dale_Foster_1099@Hotmail.com
Xbox @ Pyro1099
Last.fm @ Pyro1099
Twitter @ Pyro1099

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by Pyro1099 View Post
How do you undo this? Since I did this I can find my music throw the media player.
Yes please!.....how do you undo the command....the media player recognizes the .mkv files but doesn`t play them....so now I`m stuck with a lot of .mkv videos in media player that don`t play....How do we reverse this command so that the media player un-index the .mkv extension?

Thanks