Yeah, no doubt. That doesn't look anything like it's being given up. If anything, it's a lot sexier. I like.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Rather interestingly, the UI seems to be designed for keyboard/mouse, or stylus (or then the screen needs to be very large for finger use). Can somebody smarter describe the intended target devices that Moblin is for? Are there some hardware examples already available?

Moblin 2 works beautifully on netbooks (just test drove it!) and should cooperate on one of those mystical "MIDs"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Picklesworth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
Looks like Moblin is back with a vengeance. This is the only netbook style UI that has even remotely tempted me to actually buy a netbook.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
It's always nice to have an alternative, isn't it?

It will, of course, largely depend on the hardware the thing runs on (battery life especially, but also size and weight). But it could be tempting because it's more the desktop-like full-power experience that I look for in mobile devices, while Maemo seems to aim more for the phone-like, casual use cases (in terms of marketing and UI, not in terms of what the OS is capable of).

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Rather interestingly, the UI seems to be designed for keyboard/mouse, or stylus (or then the screen needs to be very large for finger use). Can somebody smarter describe the intended target devices that Moblin is for? Are there some hardware examples already available?
Netbooks, netbooks, netbooks (pick any of the several million different models available).

Meh, if I had Moblin, I'd likely want it on a MID sorta like the NITs, not a netbook.

The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Raiden For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
This version of Moblin is for netbooks (not smaller screen MIDs). It should run on plenty of different atom-based netbooks.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
btw, do they still use hildon? i found some references to it on pages about moblin published years ago, but the only current system overview i found doesn't mention it specifically.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
related article:
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/r...x-platform.ars
moblin looks very much alive to me.

(sorry, can't answer the hildon question.)

Tags
moblin, ubuntu