Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Before Elop made the Microsoft announcement, I stated that if Nokia went with WP7 that I would buy one. Before that strategic partnership was fully announced, I just didn't think it was a good possibility that it would happen.

Boy was I wrong.

So here it is - went with the cyan one since I already have 2 black N9's.

Kept my word.

You don't owe anyone here anything.

I also thought that the MS-deal was improbable, but the weeks leading in to it, it was made obvious.

I actually prefer Nokia sticking with WP8 rather than Android, as it would take away the mono/duopoly and create some competitiveness.
I'm sad for both HP who had poor planning and RIM who has no "saviour". I hope RIM won't go the way of the WebOS

I'm flattered

True I don't owe anybody here anything, but I do like keeping my word.

Reminds me of Scarface "All I have is my word and my balls".
Oh and what I meant before, the terrible planning by Nokia produced your L900. You wouldn't have one today if they did this instead:

I think the reason for this mess comes from 1 thing, which snowballed into many other things. And that is Nokia's collaboration with Intel, to create the MeeGo ecosystem for embedded systems. I wish that Nokia actually didn’t collaborate, it really slowed them down at a time where they had to speed up.

(Intel was too focused on making MeeGo work for x86 devices, leaving the bulk of the mobile development in Nokia’s court. Nokia was left developing a fragmented ecosystem. They should've done what they thought was right, from the start. Look at Maemo5, its nearly ready to become a fantastic OS for everyday people)

#2 - Nokia should've continued working on Harmattan, and also improving Symbian. I think Nokia could've released the N8 as early as mid-2010. The Symbian Anna update could be applied afterwards. That would've provide Nokia with the necessary budget to continue their work.

#3 - When the opportunity arrived, Nokia needed to acquire Palm. If you think about it Palm was sold very cheap ($1.2B compared to Motorolas $12.5B), Nokia would’ve easily bought them over. And Nokia needed a QUICK fresh start, WebOS was that opportunity. Besides, it would land them straight in the Nth American market which they desperately want. Let’s not forget about their collective large patents, which would trounce Apple's and force them to compete by innovating not litigation.
04/2010 – Nokia buys Palm

#4 - Nokia could easily create a modern WebOS smartphone in as little as 6 months.
I'm talking of just 2 devices one with the slab (N9) design and one with the qwert-tilt (E7) design. Both running an 800MHz Cortex A8 with 512MB and competing with the likes of the Galaxy S. But with LongTermSupport, so that the software will be updateable.
11/2010 – Nokia releases WebOS-Nokia phones and Symbian Anna updates to N8

#5 - Given another 6 months I could see a new direction.
Nokia will create high-quality ARM11 featurephones with Symbian Belle. They would now have assembled the Harmattan framework, with some of the expertise from Palm. New flagship devices could be released by mid-2011 (competing against SGSII). I'm talking another 2 devices (slab and tilt) but this time they're thinner, more battery, no bezel and having 1GB RAM. They could still perform well with a 1.5GHz Cortex A8.

However, this move leaves Microsoft in trouble and hopeless. Along with RIM, and they would probably collaborate like the Nokia-deal. We would see Windows Phones with RIM's services like BBM etc.
03/2011 – RIM announces partnership with WP7

#6 - This time Nokia has streamlined their plans. They have all their services on the new (hybrid)OS. All the bugs are ironed out and the missing features added in. Half+ of the top Apps from iOS and Android would be ported. They now support a fast 1.3GHz-Dual Cortex A9.
S40 is phased out. Nokia has hope of being successful independantly, and perhaps will OpenSource their code like Google, so that it might be 3rd-party-developed by linux fans, ported to android phones or tablets or TVs.
10/2011 – Nokia competes with dualcore smartphones, Symbian Belle works great

So the battlefield would be “equally” divided into: iOS, Android, Nokia, WP7. Competition would be at an all time high, and software progress would catch up to the hardware (ARM) progress. 2013 would be an interesting year in terms of hardware and ecosystem development

I'm flattered

Way too many "what ifs" for me to even take halfway serious.

Sounds worse than Star Trek meets Twilight fan fiction sparkly vampiric tribbles...

Anyway, with the mass exodus from Nokia to Palm, then from Palm to HP, then from HP to... well, who knows. It marks the one known thing - Maemo was not as well funded nor marketed like any other Nokia offerings. Simply stated, it wasn't given a chance.

I just... can't participate in a bunch of what ifs like that though.

Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Reminds me of Scarface "All I have is my word and my balls".
reminiscing fantasy
Reminds me of Dale Kerrigan "Tell him he's dreaming"
(from "The Castle")

Last edited by Strawman; 2012-04-13 at 13:01. Reason: fixed typo

you will burn in hell

Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
you will burn in hell
I'm already going there with gasoline boxers man for the stuff I've done in my lifetime. Might as well tempt fate, see if I can get a reserved corner of Hell for myself.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
So how did that $100 rebate work? Did you have to mail it in? Did you still need the $100 up front to buy the phone from AT&T?

Will the Nokia rebate be sent to you or applied directly to your AT&T bill?

I've been reading some conflicting details on the limited time rebates and would like to know how it really works...

Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
So how did that $100 rebate work? Did you have to mail it in? Did you still need the $100 up front to buy the phone from AT&T?

Will the Nokia rebate be sent to you or applied directly to your AT&T bill?

I've been reading some conflicting details on the limited time rebates and would like to know how it really works...
Gonna sound weird... but I bought it outright. Walked in, paid the full price - I've not been on contract with AT&T for the last two years (it's not an advantage, but man they've been offering more phones and slight discounts here and there) and I personally have a serious issue with anything like a early termination fee (ETF) hanging over my head. Too bad that's not really an advantage in the US like that would be in the rest of the world.

The $100 dollar rebate - since I purchased before April 21st - will appear on my next bill. So if you were to buy one, you will still pay that $100 if you're signing up for a 2 year contract, and on your next billing cycle, you will see it there.

I had to ask around quite a bit before I got that answer. But it was confirmed by both the AT&T billing folks and the regional manager that was in the store at the same time as myself.

Hope that helps.

Tags
promises, windows phone