Hello,
IMAP IDLE working on my N9 unreliable. After Restarting the phone, the emails arrive. But only for a short time. After that, it takes half an hour or even longer. I have tested it with two IMAP servers. With Courier and Dovecot. This method is supported at all?

greeting
salaj

It never worked properly for me (I assumed IMAP IDLE = Always up-to-date). The worst part - it drained battery so badly (totally opposite from expected result), that I switched back to 10 min polling setting. Tested it with Gmail IMAP server, which works well in IDLE mode in Thunderbird for example.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-02-09 at 22:33.

Thanks for the answer!
That's a bad message. I want to use the strict, because I do not have a flatrate. In the German Forum Nokia has said that N9 has this capability. That's why I bought it.
It is interesting that it works with Gmail without problem. Even with GMX. And the battery lasts for me about 24-36 hours.
Could the problem be solved? Whom should I contact? This is the most important feature for me.

I'm using IMAP IDLE with Courier. It works pretty good, but there are known bugs. For me it goes wild every now and then (once or twice per month) and starts draining battery, and work-around is deleting account from N9 and recreating it. Never had problems with email delivery.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by salaj View Post
Hello,
IMAP IDLE working on my N9 unreliable. After Restarting the phone, the emails arrive. But only for a short time. After that, it takes half an hour or even longer. I have tested it with two IMAP servers. With Courier and Dovecot. This method is supported at all?

greeting
salaj
This is addressed in this this thread, try searching it:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78480&page=56
But basically what sconf said is right...
OTTOMH it's to do with messageserver bug, which I think's fixed & coming with 1.2/3.
But check that thread, if you can't read it all at least skim/search.

Sergey is usually responsive too....
Unlike the other dev who handles the messaging/contacts thread.
But don't bug him till you've read/searched the thread.