Active Topics

Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
As suggested here by stskeeps, this is a thread dedicated towards discussing & contributing to these two docs:
Sailfish(Jolla): Questions & Ideas (needs some reorganising, perhaps some of it can be moved to the new doc?)
Sailfish(Jolla): Concerns/Criticisms (a blank slate that's awaiting your input!)

As we get answers to our Qns & concerns/criticisms, they'll be moved from those docs & placed here.
Hopefully the vast majority of what's still unclear will be revealed at Slush...
But if it's not, at least we'll have a clear structure about what we do/don't know, & what concerns/irritates us.
Ideally we'll get some of it answered before then by bundling the content from the Google docs into a pdf & sending that to Jolla.
I won't have time to help with much of this, so I was hoping one or more users would be willing to step-up & coordinate most of it?
About 1wk from now I'll lock those documents (upon request) to all but a select few.
But in the meantime, it's fine for anyone to add their content to both docs...
Ideas about what to put in them or how they should be organised can be discussed here.

A forewarning, this thread is strictly about discussing the content of the aforementioned documents & or the wiki.
Users who repeatedly derail it with useless or non-constructive criticism, be prepared to have your posts deleted & or be banned.
I encourage active participants to regularly and enthusiastically report such individuals.
If you want to go way off tangent, we already have a thread that's served that purpose very well so far.
Any further ideas & or thoughts about how to proceed are greatly welcomed!
Mods if you feel this thread's best suited for General (higher views on avg. anyway) feel free to move it, I just figured this sub-forum was more apt.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-08 at 08:51.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
I got Qs/Concerns

* Offline Navigation?
* LPS support?
* FM transmitter?
* Camera shutter door?
* Hdmi out via micro hdmi?
* Open source stock app?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soryuuha For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
I got Qs/Concerns

* Offline Navigation?
* LPS support?
* FM transmitter?
* Camera shutter door?
* Hdmi out via micro hdmi?
* Open source stock app?
Great, please add them to the relevant documents (if they're not already there), thank-you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Maybe this is off-topic?
Is maemo (soon to be Hildon Foundation) and the group of websites it supports, the home of Jolla and/or the community for its devices?

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by soryuuha View Post
I got Qs/Concerns

* Offline Navigation?
Nokia maps?

The Following User Says Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 248 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Eindhoven, Netherlands
- GTK compatability?
- An open source friendly GPU such as Mali 400?
- Hardware keyboard?
- Usb host mode?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ariadeno For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
Originally Posted by ranbaxy View Post
Nokia maps?
Nokia Drive?

The Following User Says Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
* Enterprise support
- VPN - Cisco/Nortel - SSL and IPSec
- MS Exchange and Lotus Notes support
- RDP Client support

* Shell access
* Developer Access
* Perl support
* Python support
* OpenOffice / LibreOffice

Last edited by abyzthomas; 2012-11-08 at 12:28.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to abyzthomas For This Useful Post:
Guys/gals, please refer the the existing list of questions before adding new ones. Avoid duplicates and obvious topics (for example, Python is available in Mer, and thus will be available in Sailfish which is derived from it). It's better to focus on real unknowns.

This thread is for suggestions about communicating these questions to Jolla and discussions around those questions. Add questions to the list yourself if you need to.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-11-08 at 16:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
...existing list of questions..
That document is not very microB friendly.

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Post #4
Did I ask a stupid question? I just wanted to know what the relationship between the Sailfish and Maemo/Hildon communities communities would be. If one were to be blunt: is TMO the correct place to discuss an OS that may have little connect with Maemo or Hildon. But, I'm not being that forthright (wink).

In terms of this thread, are requests being sort for hardware or just OS features? I guess Jolla cannot do loads about the h/w but can incorporate/implement features in the OS?

Ideas of things to include in the OS/infrastructure:
- a bug reporting tool (programme that's part of the OS) that's so user-friendly that even the most computer illiterate individual can post a useful report.
- a bug reporting mechanism that makes the user/reporter feel empowered, because it provides consistent feedback and liaison between the maintainer and reported, WRT the reported bug, and aims to actually fix things - a non-avoidance policy would be good too (a lot of Fremantle bugs seemed to be "wontfix, addressed in Harmattan" before the CSSU team took over).
- ditto for testing tools, so anyone using the pre-release repositories is able to / obliged to / assisted in running a selection of automated and manual tests.

In addition to suggestions made by others, above, OS feature requests:
to make a question, just put "will Sailfish have" in front of the following:
- Good support for external KBs (via BT or USB).
- Handwriting recognition (e.g. as smooth as Note II), plus integration with something similar to Xournal.
- Voice recognition (voice to text, not just retrieving answers to stock questions "what's the weather like?" etc.).
- Screenshot maker.
- Answerphone with media player type control.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open