Active Topics

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
So using your df output and the assumption that they are *partitions* and not separate flash memory...
I won't go into anymore details, since most of what I could say has already been said by others

But I'd like to address the matter of symlinking stuff in /usr from the (slower) ext3-partition that is mounted in /home. I would probably not just move everything, since most of the stuff doesn't take that much space.

There are some apps that take up a lot of space though, one of them being nokia-maps (maemo maps, I presume) in /usr/share/nokia-maps, which takes up about 10 megabytes. I could easily see myself symlinking from /home/share/nokia-maps, because if we only have 227.9 megabytes of "fast" memory, it stands to reason that MOST applications won't be on the fast memory partition and I haven't seen them taking any huge performance hit yet.

I guess Nokia elected to put their maemo maps on the rootfs to gain some (small?) performance increase, since it's quite sluggish as it is out of the box.

I found the command

du -d 2 /var /usr /lib | sort -n

to be quite effective when it comes to check which directories take up a lot of space. It sorts 2 levels of directories in /var /usr and /lib in ascending order according to disk space usage (in kilobytes).

/usr/share/nokia-maps and /usr/share/locale take about 10 megabytes each and /usr/lib/locale/ has a single file "locale-archive" that takes up about 16 megabytes and I don't even know what it does.

I'm not saying you should remove this stuff or even move it behind a symlink. I'm just saying it's good to know what takes up space on your device so you can do something about it if the need rises. If in doubt, research (google) it Like this hit for locale-archive:

http://linux.derkeiler.com/Mailing-L...5-08/1529.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaysire For This Useful Post:
I see people here talking about 'optifying', which I suppose to mean 'moving apps to /opt', thereby freeing space on the rootfs.

But how do I do that safely, and how do I know which apps can be optified?

Paai

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by paai View Post
I see people here talking about 'optifying', which I suppose to mean 'moving apps to /opt', thereby freeing space on the rootfs.

Paai
you can do it safely when compiling your application. stuff that already has been installed can't be optified (at least so easily)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
and keep in mind: one can always reflash the newest firmware.

sometimes it is a good solution to get a rid from unused software.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by paai View Post

Paai
'Optifying' is not something users do. It's something done to apps during the development process. If apps have not been through this, they will eat up your rootfs when you install them, and by then the only thing the user can do is uninstall.

The problem is that some of the basic libraries (including the ones even the ovi apps rely on) are not yet fully optified. so you [b[will[/b] use a fair bit of the space however careful you are.

But in terms of the apps themselves, all the ones in Ovi, and in maemo-extras are optified. They have to have been optified to get that far. Apps still in testing (less so) and devel are (highly) likely not to have been optified. No point in doing that for every build of something that's still in very early experimentation. It's a sort of 'tidying up before public release' process.

Which gives you a fair idea of what you might want to uninstall.

If you still have 20% available (45mb) you should be ok for the Next big Thing.

hmm getting more space currenrlt is pretty hard.
i am at 33MiB

then i did

apt-get autoremove (that did remove quite a few packages mostly qt4)
apt-get upgrade (to look if the new compression did kick in, upgraded 2 small packages)
apt-get autoclean
apt-get clean
reboot

and after reboot: 33MiB
hmm

i guess when the new firmware arrives i need to seriously start uninstalling..

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
No RevdKathy, you are wrong again! There is a mentioned before script, to do the optifying after installation. It takes a bit of time, it moves the files from /usr to /opt on the mmc and symlink them them. It is the same procedure, only the symlinks are eating the rootfs like in optifyed packages as well...

Last edited by mankir; 2010-01-13 at 09:06.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by mankir View Post
No RevdKathy, you are wrong again! There is a mentioned before script, to do the optifying after installation. It takes a bit of time, it moves the files from /usr to /opt on the mmc and symlink them them. It is the same procedure...
Really? I wasn't aware this was something users can do. That's good to know. Please can you supply the link to the procedure so people can go about it? Presumably we can't do this to the basic libraries, though.

Will it not also slow things down if they're in a different place?

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Sorry for writing you are wrong again! Ok you are right, the eMMC is slower than the NAND. But it will only make a difference, when you access many files at the same time. Normally you won't feel a difference, i guess!

Here is the script: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33429

Last edited by mankir; 2010-01-13 at 09:19.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
For those who have installed python apps from testing or devel. The python in extras is now optified, which gives you a nice 20 megs extra in rootfs.

I had to manually remove some stuff to get it updated.

Here's what I did:

This will most likely remove some programs. You will see a list of what will be removed and asked to verify. Please note that you might not have the same programs installed as I did. FM Radio, Quicknote and Witter are a couple of python apps that will be removed.

in xterm as root:

apt-get remove python
apt-get remove python2.5
apt-get remove python-osso
apt-get autoremove
apt-get clean

now you should have much more space.

Install whatever programs that were removed. The new optified python libraries should be installed in the process.

Check with df -h that you see the opt mounts for python added to the list.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2010-01-13 at 10:13. Reason: Removed some misinformation

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, n900, opt, optification, optify, root space, rootfs