Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Has anyone seen this on Symbian^3? We need to get this ported to the Nokia N9 as fast as possible.

http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-maps-suite

Check it out, it's amazing. Since it's in Qt it should be extremely easy to port over to the Nokia N9.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
Check it out, it's amazing. Since it's in Qt it should be extremely easy to port over to the Nokia N9.
That reminds me of Java. Many years ago people were told it would make everything "portable". Have you seen any non-trivial portable Java programs?

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
oh well, that looks great! Let's hope i't either in PR1.2 or will be provided seperatly.

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
That reminds me of Java. Many years ago people were told it would make everything "portable". Have you seen any non-trivial portable Java programs?
I had worked on porting J2ME apps and games for a few years before, I wouldn't complain that as I got paid to fulfill their "portable" fantasy

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Eclipse, NetBeans, TV-Browser... to name only a few.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Eclipse, NetBeans, TV-Browser... to name only a few.
I've tried running Netbeans 7.1 on the N9, using a remote X Session. It worked. Very slow, but it worked. So yeah, JavaSE still is very, very portable, up to and including the point "it just works".

More on topic: Nokia Maps is closed source. We can only demand a port, but whether that demand is satisfied is up to Nokia. However, PR1.2 does bring a (very much needed) update for Maps.

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
@Arie - voted for it.

Also, I remember seeing somewhere (Nokia Conversations, maybe?) that Maps would be updated on WP and N9 Nokia devices too. It was in the Maps Suite article, so it made me hopeful. Not sure if they meant Maps would be just "updated" or whether the whole suite would be made available.

Here's the thing: with the white N9 coming out, and more and more people adding comments about the N9 to various Nokia forum-type sites, the N9 is still getting some good PR (haha, see what I did there!) People should keep up their "oh I have the N9 too, it's great! Give us Maps Suite as well!" type posts to keep the N9 in discussion at Nokia HQ.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by AndyNokia232 View Post
@Arie - voted for it.

Also, I remember seeing somewhere (Nokia Conversations, maybe?) that Maps would be updated on WP and N9 Nokia devices too. It was in the Maps Suite article, so it made me hopeful. Not sure if they meant Maps would be just "updated" or whether the whole suite would be made available.

Here's the thing: with the white N9 coming out, and more and more people adding comments about the N9 to various Nokia forum-type sites, the N9 is still getting some good PR (haha, see what I did there!) People should keep up their "oh I have the N9 too, it's great! Give us Maps Suite as well!" type posts to keep the N9 in discussion at Nokia HQ.
If enough people on TMO vote for it, it will get noticed.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
you really think any of you can speed-up developing *something by nokia* via posting some message on forum? oh, come on! are you kidding?
it will be developed asap. even WP7 version not done, it will be created and published before MeeGo one. just be patient.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
In case people haven't noticed the report in his sig
https://harmattan-bugs.nokia.com/show_bug.cgi?id=908
That's where you vote.....

Much of the improvements we're seeing in 1.2+ will be in this (in maps/drive etc).
There's just some other smaller components that'd be nice to have for maemo6x

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: