Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
I was wondering if anyone had bothered to ask them if they could provide any of their unreleased but already implemented fixes for us to include in the SSU. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable request, given that we're not asking them to do any actual development.
Yes, they have been asked to do that and to open components so that we can fix bugs and maintain Diablo ourselves. Almost all requests since n8x0 was officially mothballed have been denied. You will want to look here:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Open_developme...hange_requests

Feel free to make additional requests, but I am dubious. I have from time to time addressed Nokia's point person (qgil) on this topic, the most recent is here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...409#post688409

but he never directly responds. Instead, he talks about openness generally. See here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...108#post695108

It is quite frustrating. At one point, he did acknowledge that resources are moving on. I think the most realistic approach is to assume that we won't get any more help from Nokia on legacy issues.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Almost all requests since n8x0 was officially mothballed have been denied.
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I have from time to time addressed Nokia's point person (qgil) on this topic, the most recent is here:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...409#post688409

but he never directly responds. Instead, he talks about openness generally.
Well, one thing is marketing and another is reality
People, don't believe what the maketdroids tell, they're always lies or half-truths at best.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post:
Re: the BME stuff, it's annoying and ridiculous and a blight on the Maemo brand. But on the flip side, I was shocked to discover recently that new batteries (BP-4L) could be purchased on eBay for under $10. I found one selling for $2.95 the other day. UPDATE: see this for more discussion on N810 batteries.

I would love Nokia to be opening up more code. The more the better. But what if they did open up the BME code... what if no one in the community stepped up to do a fix? Or if someone did and declared that the code was hideous and unfixable? Or tried to fix it and introduced other problems? I thought in the BME bug report someone said this code was complicated. At least "the devil we know" has a clear workaround.

Added later: someone started hacking around this problem. See this if interested.

Last edited by buurmas; 2010-06-10 at 17:58. Reason: added other link, added update about batteries

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Belgium
Originally Posted by notnarb View Post
modifying the keyboard for yourself isn't very hard, and I know I would be upset if the SSU messed up my beautiful keybindings. It would take like 3 lines in python to accomplish the same thing
I know it would be pretty easy for most geeks to bind it, but I'd prefer to have consistent bindings between different people.

When someone asks how to push "tab" in the browser, there is currently no easy and good answer. App developer can rely on the fact that this particular binding is used and should not be used for something else, ...

As for messing up the keybindings, Debian usually asks you whether or not you wish to replace a config file. Wouldn't the community SSU be able to do this ?

Looking for beta testers for a price comparison engine:
http://www.shoptimate.com

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
There is one bug I would love to have fixed: 2587

Also thread here

Its a small bug which has been fixed in Fremantle.

When you try to input a password while pairing a bluetooth device you can only enter numbers not letters which means you can't pair with any item that has letters as a fixed password.

Originally Posted by inoshishi View Post
I know it would be pretty easy for most geeks to bind it, but I'd prefer to have consistent bindings between different people.
Would there be a way to optionally turn it on?

Got pinged by SD69 (thanks!). Sorry for going MIA, but life has been extremely hectic lately and it looks like it's going to stay that way for the rest of the month at least :-(

On the plus side, I got to use my N810 away from chargers an awful lot and haven't seen any unusual use-time issues. Since the current -testing SSU looks fine (no real problems found except for the PS_WIDE thing), I'll roll a fresh busybox package and push the whole thing to the "stable" repository to clean the slate for future work.

That said, I want this to become a real community project and I certainly don't want to be the bottleneck. Anyone who wants to "adopt" a Diablo package and update it for the community SSU should feel free :-) X-fade and (I think) Stskeeps have access to the repository in case anyone needs to upload something and I'm not around.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by giladmttw View Post
I am seeing this on dmesg:

cx3110x: WARNING prism_softmac_frame_tx_done() returned an empty frame.

I don't remember having this before.
That message also comes up on official Diablo. We haven't touched cx3110x.ko yet anyway (need to figure out how to update initfs first).

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
I have it (tab) mapped to Fn<space>
Ukeyboard (highly recommended if you care about bug 2501) also does this by default.

Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
I see references to a bugfix to the BME in this bugreport, with the intent that it would go out with a later SSU (according to the comments), but there wasn't a later SSU.

Could we get a hold of this update and add it to the community SSU?
I would love that (having also been bitten by it and ending up sending a perfectly good N810 for warrany replacement), but it's a bit tricky since it lives on the initfs. See this post for a suggestion, any other ideas welcome.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 57 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ West Hills California
I would like to get more involved in the CSSU effort. I have an n800 that was running Chinook for 2 years. Last week I reflashed to the latest Diablo and this morning installed the latest CSSU.

No battery problems. Of course I'm running three batteries, original Nokia, and two externally soldered cell batteries on the back of the case. 8 hours of hard use easily.

I had a working scratchbox environment on an old Ubuntu Dapper Drake PC. I will need to spend some time building a new scratchbox environment under Jaunty, Karmic or Lucid.

I wanted to upgrade to the n900, but I like to wait 6 months when a new product comes out to see how it does in the field.

I was not disappointed.

Waiting that is.

I like how the CSSU fixes a lot of pesky bugs that have been around and scattered with workarounds.

Thanks for all of your efforts.

Terry
West Hills California

The Following User Says Thank You to tgalati4 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
I would like to get more involved in the CSSU effort.
Thanks and welcome. We would love you to jump in and take care of some packages. Please send a PM to lma and myself.

Tags
backintime, diablo cssu, diablo turbo