Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Maemo5 does not support SyncML out of the box. SyncML is a standard used to synchronize clients with a SyncML server. There are open source server software (like Funambol provides) and a lot of clients for nearly every plattform as you can see here. The idea is to have also a solution to synchronize Contacts, calendar entries, tasks and notes (and maybe more stuff) from the N900 (Maemo5) to a SyncML server.

Services (free and paid) offering SyncML can be found here.

The first idea to solve this is to use syncevolution. Syncevolution runs very well in maemo4 already and maybe it's the easiest way to implement it also on maemo5.

Update (2010-01-28): Ove Kaaven will maintain a version for maemo. See this announcment on syncevolution.org. In this way syncevolution arrived maemo extras-devel repository!

Update (2010-02-10):There also is a nice GUI available for syncevolution. Just install syncevolution frontend from extras-testing.

Vote here (or post other solution ideas): http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...rt_for_maemo5/

Last edited by jukey; 2010-02-10 at 20:53.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jukey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Good Idea but it is not simple to implement for maemo5. It is not just compile......

And we've been waiting for SyncML in Maemo since OS2005 on the 770... ;-)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
syncml was available for all previous models, 770-N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 246 | Thanked: 204 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Potsdam (Germany)
Originally Posted by mikhmv View Post
Good Idea but it is not simple to implement for maemo5. It is not just compile......
You can fill a bug report in the syncevolution bug tracking tool or improve this report: http://bugzilla.moblin.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8511

I think you should post at least the concrete error messages you see if you try to compile it.

Me on twitter

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Unfortunately the Maemo5 calendar does not use evolution-data-server as backend. So syncevolution would only help with contacts I think.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Well from what I can tell calendar just uses an sqlite db one just needs to translate to something meaningful.

Infact reading them seems to be rather easy uses unix time internaly at that.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
How about sync to the Nokia cloud solution on OVI.com - seems sensible as the S60 phones do so already. Would seem sensible solution from a Nokia perspective too!

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Not for those of us who prefer to be in control of our data and prefer to have our own sync servers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
also, as long as ovi.com is so full of bugs, i couldn't accept it as the only way to sync. i need a way to sync my desktop (GNU/Linux), my phone, my N810 and my N900. Syncevolution plus scheduleworld.com does just that. Ovi doesn't because it doesn't work on my (Nokia!) phone, my desktop and my N810 - even if they should integrate it with Maemo 5 one day.

Tags
implemented, syncevolution, syncml