Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Project Ara was delayed, not canceled.
Yes, you're right. My post was poorly worded. I meant that Google had abruptly cancelled interesting projects that were somewhat similar to Ara, such as Google Glass.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
It looks to me Puzzlephone is mechanically a lot simpler than Ara, hence probably it will be cheaper to manufacture and might have less connection problems etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The IGG campaign is go. No Sailfish, the specs are not impressive. Judging by the just 1 render from the front it looks quite a bit like the Jolla phone and the size is similar.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
i just backed on IG.com ..i want to bet on it...the heart part will have space for i2c modules (if i have not misunderstood), and other modules. It will be entirely produced in europe, so it is an added value for me. 299 euro is not that much,

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
they said for now they will sell it with android, but maybe in the future if it will be requested and if they will have more resources, it would be possible to find alternatives

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
The IGG campaign is go. No Sailfish, the specs are not impressive. Judging by the just 1 render from the front it looks quite a bit like the Jolla phone and the size is similar.
I was hoping the OS could also be replaced like a puzzle-piece Unfortunately I can't stand Android and hope for a positive Fairphone/Sailfish future.

I wished PuzzlePhone would explain further the estimated value of the different pieces (or % of whole product). Looks like a well designed device though and I wish them good luck with the campaign

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I don't quite understand their campaign. The target is very low but it looks like they've got a fair way to go to get a final product. Presumably they've got other funding rather than just the campaign and its just for PR but if so it's a year out.

The design itself looks OK but for a modular phone they've not split out the costs of each module and combining the battery with other secondary electronics might make for an expensive battery if that's all you wanted to replace.

Choosing Android is a no brainer really. They need something with mass appeal that works and Sailfish is neither. I hope they have the sense to muck about with Android as little as possible so customers aren't waiting on them for customisation they don't need.

Good luck to them. I don't need another phone just now but maybe in a year.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
sure, they got funds also from UE..some sort of investiment..

I had high hopes, but the Indiegogo campaign or lack thereof is very disappointing.

They have some relatively specific specs listed, but zero details of the actual components. For phones or electronic devices this is bad, but particularly so for a supposedly modular, upgradeable device. I'm sure this is on purpose, as they believe the reaction would not be positive if people knew what they were intending to use.

Zero information or specifics about future upgrade paths. No mention of when or if there'll be third party modules ... just some pie in the sky design concepts which look unlikely to be realised any time soon.

Worst of all, they claim to have designed a sustainable, modular, upgradeable device ... and yet they not only don't have a removable battery, they don't even have a replaceable battery! This is beyond appalling. The (3) / 'Heart' module clearly has a lot more than just the battery in terms of electronics, given its size relative to the reasonably small 2800mAh capacity. People wanting a spare battery or to replace a faulty one have to buy another set of packaging and electronics as well as the battery. How is this not incredibly wasteful? Also they say nothing at all about how repairable or replaceable the LCD is ... I assume it isn't, at all, and you're expected to replace the entire assembly and frame of the phone - again a huge waste and no doubt far more expensive than in many traditional phones. Scratched camera lens? Oh, bad luck, you have to replace the SoC, RAM, solid state memory and main circuitry of the device, plus packaging. Sounds great.

I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole. I expect they were hoping for 10x that $250k figure. IMO they'll be extremely lucky to hit $500k. $350k is probably a realistic figure. I'd seriously question if they'll be around in 18 months time.

P.S. I love the section where they detail the years of experience and projects the team they've assembled have worked on ... all very impressive ... except for the notable absence of any experience relating to phones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I'm surprised that you've not asked these questions to them directly - IndieGoGo allows that type of interaction once signed in.

I think we'd all benefit from those types of questions, bluefoot.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: