Check out the last comment posted to Ari Jaaksi's latest blog entry:

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blo...42474042911468

Perhaps he can rattle Nokia enough to cough up some answers.

Jeff

l don't read Allison's remarks as regarding the product but rather the US launch and the non-availability of the 770.

When l read all this l feel very lucky that l managed to place an order on the fourth and get one of the first and apparently very few 770s

lt should be a mass product but it is getting an air of exclusivity around it.

René

Originally Posted by seindal
lt should be a mass product but it is getting an air of exclusivity around it.
Yeah, great isn't it?

Who is Jeremy Allison?

Originally Posted by seindal
l don't read Allison's remarks as regarding the product but rather the US launch and the non-availability of the 770.
Exactly. He's just like many of us here. Very interested to get their hands on the product but upset about the delayed availability and more so the complete lack of info about why that is.

Originally Posted by Smiley Dan
Who is Jeremy Allison?
I couldn't find a page that has a bio on him, but here are a few articles from the past year where he's been quoted that have little blurbs about him:

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/app...9186884,00.htm

http://management.itmanagersjournal....1733231&tid=85

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1790391,00.asp

Jeff

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
I am not going to defend Nokia's inability to provide 770's in sufficient quantity to meet the demand and I'm not going to say that Jeremy Allison's assertions are misplaced.

I do want to say, however, that we should not let our hopes and plans for the 770 be dissuaded by the fact that there are far too few 770's available now and for the next several weeks. We simply must be patient and stay focused on the immediate future when the 770 will be readily available.

We must accept the situation without adding negativity to our individual hopes for the 770 or to the ITT forums. We must make the most of the fact that the few of us who do have 770's are providing essential feedback to each other, to the rest of us and to Nokia. I'm confident that Nokia is doing all that it can to make the 770 readily available ASAP and that the 770 will be widely available in a relatively short period of time, making the frustrations of shortages now will be a minor historical footnote. Let's use the time until this happens to do just one thing - to better prepare for what it will be like when the 770 is widely available.

Good things are worth waiting for and getting negative about anything because it doesn't happen exactly as we'd like it to is only going to serve to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Let's all keep a professional perspective and earn Nokia's respect by giving them the opportunity they deserve to solve the availability problem.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Internet_Cafe_W3
I don't think that philosophy is a very good model. Big corporate entities shouldn't be allowed to release a product, withold the product, and not give any details as to why they are doing so. It's almost as if they are wanting to produce some weird sort of alienating hype. I follow your posts ideas and the moralistic approach to trying to be patient and understanding. I have a problem with a company like Nokia, which carries a longstanding tradition of excellent products. This is not a new field of technology for them don't believe that crap. Their are enough units out to know that there is not anything major that is wrong with them. Join freenode and go to #maemo that's where the Nokia coders are kickin it. They aren't having problems with the units. The firmware update helps with process id's and overall processing congestion within the device. I don't know why you care so much about how people express their individual concerns on getting screwed. If you quote me make it good and do the last sentence.

The big problem for Nokia is that without setting customer expectations properly via updated release information, customers are left to come to their own conclusions. Fair or not, it's human nature. If they don't know this or think that it won't happen, then they need some new employees.

A situation like this one has created impatience. That impatience will spill over into lower allowances for product quirks, issues or outright failures. Rest assured, those who have waited a while will be more likely to raise their voices should they run into problems once they receive their units. It's a bad situation that will almost certainly get worse for them before it gets better.

Really, any information they have or even an official acknowledgement of the delay should have been made public by now. People may still have been upset, but at least they would know something. As it is, they know very little and what they do know they don't put much stock in as the sources have proven to be unreliable.

Jeff

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Originally Posted by ChuckP
If you quote me make it good and do the last sentence.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Eugene, Oregon
Originally Posted by ChuckP
I don't know why you care so much about how people express their individual concerns on getting screwed. If you quote me make it good and do the last sentence.
No problem, Chuck; I can accept it that some will not understand my suggestion of perspective and patience. If you honestly think I'm being moralistic and you don't care for what I write, or how I write, then I would encourage you to filter my posts. That's what the feature is for.

How about some links to accounts of people "getting screwed" by Nokia?

I agree with Jeff. They have a hard job now making the situation better. Also the lack of any information from Nokia after they basically muffed the product release gives a very bad impression on what their overall attitude to the product will be. If it seems they don't care about the product and don't care about their customers now why would they care more once it does start shipping. It seems very odd after they have done so much to help developers with it with their support for the whole open source mode. I wonder if there isn't some kind of internal politics involved here. Nokia is a phone company. And non phone type things aren't their strong point lets be honest. Look at the N-Gage. As in any big corporation I wouldn't be surprised if there are people inside Nokia who WANT the 770 to fail. I've seen that myself at big corporates I have worked at. Sure in theory you're all one big happy family but in reality people have their own agendas. The impression I have always had with the 770 is it is a smallish, spin off, lets try it and see type project appealing to geeks and hackers. Maybe I am wrong there but that's the impression I always got. The fact it is open source, that the apps that come with it are fairly basic, that the hardware is a little lacking (memory, processor speed, expansion, etc) and also that there were so few available at launch (and when I say launch I always think of the first Vanguard rocket!) says to me they haven't gone all out to make this a success. It's a test product. I still want to get one but I wouldn't be surprised if it soon we see Palm/Pocket PCs with similar sized screens optimised for web and wireless at a reasonable price. In reality a Pocket PC with that size screen and wireless would be a much more useful device. Of course it is unlikely we'd see them at the same price. That is one of the 770s strong points. Of course price means nothing if you can't actually buy one!