Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Because i am not a Linux programmer i cannot answer my own question but i know only one thing, something is not right here especially when it has been a long time since the last Nokia update 25 Oct 2010 and the progress on the N900 has slowed dramatically since.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I am not a programmer so i am not that knowledgeable in the subject. But isn't the thing with QT that it is supposed to be both productive and effective while java is just productive?

Overall the device that uses QT would run better.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
What is Dalvik doing that this community cannot !!!.
One important difference: devices, devices, devices!

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
But you all know what the endgame is likely going to be. It's HTML5 or HTML or whatever you want to call it, and that game hasn't still been really even started yet. From platform-specific code to universal. Develop once, with standards, and it'll run on all the devices.It's coming, and it'll change the rules of the game, especially the ecosystem rules, one more time. If things go in a certain way, it will create a very interesting almost level playing field for devices to innovate around other parts of the user and developer experience.

Just be patient.
I would like everyone to watch the video on this link and meditate again on what Ragnar said.

http://mynokiablog.com/2011/02/19/vi...o-on-nokia-n8/

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following User Says Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by lma View Post
One important difference: devices, devices, devices!
What kind of answer was THAT ????

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
I am not a programmer so i am not that knowledgeable in the subject. But isn't the thing with QT that it is supposed to be both productive and effective while java is just productive?

Overall the device that uses QT would run better.
You can use QT also with Java. One of the solutions is called QtJambi.

What it comes to programming language, QtJambi/Java can be eventually faster in certain (long living OOP) applications than Qt/C++ due to moving-GC which handles away heap memory fragmentation and keeps cache misses count low also when the OOP application is running long time (CPU-time-wise).

Core applications like Desktop, window manager and such could actually eventually benefit if they would be running in VM (Java, Python) with a smart GC, because they have to be running 24/7 for a lifetime of device's whole session and time to time a possibility to heap memory defragmentation could come handy.

Last edited by zimon; 2011-02-19 at 19:27.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
What kind of answer was THAT ????
Just compare how many Android devices have been released in the last 3 years vs Maemo's one and only. Communities don't appear and reach critical mass spontaneously you know.

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
A good question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market

In my opinion one of the reasons is that they like to use Java and it is highly productive programming language and it has good development tools.
I disagree, it's no better than anything else. We could be talking about Apple App Store and we'd see the same thing. It's developers, developing because of an increasing user base. So the platform becomes more attractive/lucrative for them to develop for.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
yeah, you are right, why bother doing a long and boring job using the appropriate tools like a total square when you can quickly gypsy some **** together and call it done.

Now excuse me I have to go and put some shelves up with duck-tape.
Duct tape is the handyman's best friend.....Just ask Red Green.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b61f6bAuytw

Tags
eflop, elop at a pole, tags gone awol