Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
any details on the N950?

Originally Posted by Hootenholler View Post
A stack of fancy hardware will be of no value if we aren't able to make maximum use of it as we see best.
That's why it should run Meego and have Dalvik VM.

Every feature could be ripped out of the hardware and the same time the critical mass of number of applications would be there, as well as the fan base of Meego would go through the roof at once.

Addition to the hardware what is in Samsung Galaxy S2 (+NFC), it should have a qwerty-keyboard with the slide mechanism as it is in N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
I just found out that the new device will be running Maemo6.
http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=2719&page=6
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Folks, I really believe there's nothing about trust here.

Our trust in a company or particular brand should be based on the product quality and reliability, and service performance levels, not simply their business strategy. As long as it's within ethical limits, there's really no reason to get upset and say we lose "trust" in a company when they change their business strategies to satisfy shareholders.

I mean, it would have been nice if Nokia continued with Meego development. But I don't think any trust was broken here, right? Did Nokia deceived or 'cheated' us into buying Maemo or N900 with the promise of Meego? Was there any damage done?

Every company at some point will shelve or "kill" a product development when it does not meet certain business sense. Can't really blame them right? Certainly can't say they cheated our trust - unless we're so fragile with our trust.

Now, if you really "trusted" Nokia in the first place, you would trust in their business judgements to come up with a much better product for their customers. Just like how you would trust your spouse and friends, right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
I'd consider buying it if the hardware is a lot better than the N900...although after only 2 years that is really close together for me, I usually keep a phone for 4-6 years...

What I'd hope for: Landscape slider, 1.5Ghz+ dual core CPU (preferably ARM-based), 512MB+ RAM, resistive touch screen (preferably multitouch), everything else equal to or better than the N900.

Definitely.

Since using the keyboard of the N900 I've changed my mind about it actually being there.
I didn't see any point of it on a touch-screen at first, but it's got far more uses than excuses.

If we had as much freedom as we do with the N900 then I'd be there in the queue for a MeeGo device.
And I know some bits of the N900 are closed, but they're Nokia's propriotery (sp) property and they do have a right to stop JOBSworths and other manufacturers getting hold of it.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Wake me up when it comes.

The Following User Says Thank You to kaos_king For This Useful Post:
This could be the deal-breaker for me:-

Taken from Forum MeeGo.com
qgil: Devices going through other channels might have a more restrictive policy defined by the channel owner.
If this means that operators will be allowed to rip the bits out that they don't want us to see and use, then I'll definitely jump ship.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I've been a Nokia follower for over 10 years.

During the candyphone era, their phones were always known to have the best UI and the best build quality. Their usability has been top notch, coupled with the industrial/rugged look. I owned a couple of those.

Later on they evolve to do more fashionable phones, with crazy and colorful designs... which I stayed away from, but I thought it's good for the company to take advantage of all these business opportunities (teenage texting was booming). I bought one of their basic phone from that era.

I never got into featurephones... I jumpedship to 'smartphones' rather early to Palm Treo lines (starting with the 600). I've always lamented why Nokia never released a proper smartphone with qwerty + touchscreen like Palm did. I thought that was a great form factor.

When I heard of the NIT project, I ordered an n770 right away... I was hoping Nokia would get on the 'smartphone/tablet' train and do it right... only to be disappointed by its overall interface and usability. I mean, I've gone through most of these (open *nix pocketables) with the sharp zauri already... I have no need to fund a giant's FOSS experiment again... but I thought "Nokia should be able to smoothen all the rough edges. They know how to. They'll know what's wrong."

Boy was I wrong.

Do I trust Nokia now?
I base my trust on what Nokia has given me, not by what it's promising the world through Elop.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
It will take a LONG time to gain any trust in Nokia now, they have screwed us big time with Maemo and is something the world has seen with their own eyes so Nokia you screwed us but mostly you have screwed yourselves !.

Tags
bada bing, bada rox, bada rulez, bada suckss, bada sux, lam bada, lol @ bada, nokia defiled, science fiction