i had the same issue. nearly went out and bought another n900 because of it. the fix was very simple. the error message should have read: "free up some space in your home directory". i went to /home/user/MyDocs/ and there were huge, unwanted files that needed to be deleted. once i did that, i was able to install apps again using the application manager. hope this helps someone.
-JakDaRippa aka gn00b

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by JakDaRippa View Post
i had the same issue. nearly went out and bought another n900 because of it. the fix was very simple. the error message should have read: "free up some space in your home directory". i went to /home/user/MyDocs/ and there were huge, unwanted files that needed to be deleted. once i did that, i was able to install apps again using the application manager. hope this helps someone.
-JakDaRippa aka gn00b
This should not happen, it indicates that your MyDocs-partition might get corrupted, therefore does not mount any more at /home/user/MyDocs. Nevertheless those applications create blindly of the missing partition the directory and the necessary subdirectories. But this time on /dev/mmcblk0p2 instead of /dev/mmcblk0p1.
This is filling the 2G partition fairly quick.

To analyse:
Code:
mount
Look for the above mentioned devices in the output.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Germany, Berlin
Some days ago I ran into similar problems - I could not install app updates with some kilobytes via HAM . It said "No space left" (in German , I don't remember anything with rootfs or /home in particular).
And I even could not sync with MfE (Mail for Exchange) anymore: Home directory full .

This thread helped me to find my solution.
The interesting parts from "df -h" where
Code:
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                  227.9M    135.6M     88.1M  61% /
/dev/mmcblk0p2            2.0G      1.8G     20.6M  99% /home
So enough space in rootfs. Still some MB left in /home, but 99% is a bit worrisome. It doesn't seem to matter that there are plenty of GB free in /home's subdirectory /home/user/MyDocs , which has a different mount point.
With terminal command
Code:
find /home -maxdepth 2 -size +1000k
I found some bigger files that do not belong into /home/user (jpg, exe, mp3 ...). I probably have s-copied the files there ages ago (and not in MyDocs - lazy me). Deleting these files or moving them to /home/user/MyDocs brought everything back to working conditions. I can install apps via HAM again and MfE synch is working as it used to do for years.
Might help others avoiding those nasty "no space left" errors.

Cheers
Ulle

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ulle For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Another way files may get onto your /home partition and not MyDocs is when you e.g. try to copy something to MyDocs when MyDocs is not availbe due to the phone being in the USB Mass Storage mode. In that case, MyDocs is just an ordinary directory under /home and copying anything to /home/MyDocs just fills up /home. The added benefit is that when you unplug your phone from USB, MyDocs gets mounted again and your new contents mysteriously "disappears" (not really, but it gets shadowed by the real MyDocs).

The upshot is, it might be useful to look at the contents of /home/MyDocs whilst the phone is in the USB mass storage mode. You might find some surpises there.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: