Active Topics

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
The screen on my N900 is pretty scratched up, and I'd like to change it before applying a screen protector. The problem is I only found replacement digitizers on Ebay.

I bought one that includes the frame for $20 including shipping, and i am waiting delivery. The main question before i disassemble the N900 again is has anyone tried those digitizers before? I bought mine from a very high positive feedback seller, but that is not realy a guarantee.

I know these are ot OEM parts, but do they work? Are they more prone to scratches? Are they as sensitive and the original digitizer?

I will have the answer soon, but I'd like another opinion. Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
I bought a cheap digitizer off ebay a couple months ago, works fine. Sensitivity seems just as good as original.
The only issue I have is light spots on the screen. I'm not sure if its a finger smudge or a defect.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deegore For This Useful Post:
Obvious question, but were the bright spots there before replacing the digitizer? Unless the digitizer thickness varies somehow, the bright spots come from the lcd.

Thanks for the reply, i will give it a shot and will report on the quality. I just need to receive the new digitizer in the mail first.

The Following User Says Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Some time ago i bought a digitizer plus the metal frame from a seller in the uk. Now my device is almost new. Quality is very good, no defects, it really seems the original.

Concerning the digitizer availables as "nude", without frame, i wouldn't be sure that the result would be nice due the fact that remove the frame from the digitizer is really a PAIN... And the frame becomes distorced after removed.

The Following User Says Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
I got my N900 digitizer in the mail and I installed it. So far I'm pretty happy with it.

It's more sensitive than the old one, no bright spots, fit and finish is perfect. The speaker looks completely different from the OEM, but after comparing it with my other N900 which has the OEM digitizer, it sounds exactly the same.

Cannot test how scratch resistant it is, because my next step is to apply a screen protector.

All in all, it was worth the $20 including shipping.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Does the seller have bigger stock? I once ordered one of ebay but that turned out to be fake. Frame was plastic instead of aluminium, no perfect fit. Missing magnets for keyboard-slide sensor, just crap... For $20 I might risk it again after your good report
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Umm... Never knew the N900 has keyboard magnets, but they must be there since I installed a backup using BackupMenu, which requires the keyboard to be open on boot. I hope I'm not the only one, but I basically test stuff out on my daily N900, with its scratched housing and screen, and I keep my other N900 is as new condition. Yeah, OCD much?

Here's who I bought the digitizer from:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290775435239

I can verify that the digitizer I received looks exactly like the pictures.

Edit: I also verified that the keyboard gets detected properly when slid open. So that must mean the magnets are in place.

Last edited by cr0c0; 2013-02-06 at 00:10.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Most probably they lack the polarizer filter, which gives better looks to the N900 and better contrast to the screen taking a little brightness away.

That was the case with the 5800 and I suppose with the N900 too. I will have a digitizer from ebay soon and I'll report back

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Most probably they lack the polarizer filter, which gives better looks to the N900 and better contrast to the screen taking a little brightness away.

That was the case with the 5800 and I suppose with the N900 too. I will have a digitizer from ebay soon and I'll report back
So I have both N900s in front of me. Since they are identical mirrors (one is a restore of the other), all the settings are the same.

The N900 with the new digitizer has a blue tint, is less bright and the colours are a touch more faded. The N900 with the old digitizer has a yellow tint, is brighter and the colours are more vibrant. The differences are minute, and if you hadn't said anything I wouldn't have noticed.

Keep in mind though that there may be differences in the LCDs themselves. All in all I am very happy with this particular digitizer, because it is a lot more touch sensitive and it's not scratched at all.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cr0c0 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
This picture, not very good, shows the difference between what I believe to be an ebay digitizer and an original one. I don't know for sure, I bought that device used.

with the screen on the difference is less obvious but the original one has slightly better blacks

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Last edited by qwazix; 2013-02-08 at 23:14.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:

Tags
digitizer, nokia n900