Active Topics

Posts: 245 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bad Homburg, Deutschland
Originally Posted by u2maemo View Post
All these device which have good performance in web rendering have hardware acceleration but driver used for GPU acceleration is all closed source.

iPhone and Android device or N900 have good web rendering but Linux don't because there are no GPU hardware acceleration driver is available for linux.

All GPU from PowerVR don't have open source driver including GMA500(SGX535) which have driver in linux but source code is closed.
Well, lets not confuse ARM with PowerVR, those two are completely different things. We can argue that Linux lacks good PowerVR support, which is mostly true.
Besides don't know how much hardware acceleration can help you with ordinary web rendering, not flash stuff, mind you.

The ARM Linux Internet Platform of TI alredy have 3d and 2d accelerator ??

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Back on topic...

So, we have the drivers and it kind-of works with the instructions posted by Stskeeps after flashing the provided Kernel (at least when starting from a "vanilla" Diablo flash on a N800).

One of the problems (as already mentioned) is that the content area does not get redrawn automatically (so we have to e.g. open the apps menu and close it to "reveal" the current content of the GL surface).

Do we know what needs to be done to fix this, and where the problem lies (in the binary-only code or in code we have access to)? I guess the redraw fix is the most important one to see if the artifacts are related to the redrawing or if there are some more issues.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by thp View Post
Do we know what needs to be done to fix this, and where the problem lies (in the binary-only code or in code we have access to)? I guess the redraw fix is the most important one to see if the artifacts are related to the redrawing or if there are some more issues.
We can even fix this in client applications, by just issuing a omapfb refresh after every egl swap buffers call. The issue is that we want to try not "going this way" since it would be bad from a performance PoV. Ideally the driver would be more aware of the n810 framebuffer setup.

Basic idea is doing what the drivers call a WSEGL, which is something not unlike a "Windowing system abstraction layer" (aka we have currently a X11 one, a stub/fb one, and there's a Qt one around).

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-03-20 at 18:04.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
issuing a omapfb refresh after every egl swap buffers call
Do you have some example code or links to documentation on how to "manually" tell the omapfb to refresh?

Do you have some example code or links to documentation on how to "manually" tell the omapfb to refresh?
Something like....

Code:
static int omapFd;
static void omapfbFlush()
{
	struct omapfb_update_window u;

u.x = 80;
	u.y = 60;
	u.out_x = u.x;
	u.out_y = u.y;
	u.width = 720;
	u.height = 420;
	u.out_width = u.width;
	u.out_height = u.height;
	u.format = OMAPFB_COLOR_RGB565;

int res = ioctl(omapFd, OMAPFB_UPDATE_WINDOW, &u);
	if (res != 0) {
		printf("omapfb flush failed\n");
	}
}
static void init() {
	omapFd = open("/dev/fb0", O_RDWR);
	if (omapFd < 0) {
		printf("Failed to open omap fd\n");
	}
}
static void fini() {
	close(omapFd);
}

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
We can even fix this in client applications, by just issuing a omapfb refresh after every egl swap buffers call. The issue is that we want to try not "going this way" since it would be bad from a performance PoV. Ideally the driver would be more aware of the n810 framebuffer setup.
Are there any hooks in the mbxaccess driver that will be called upon eglSwapBuffers?

omaplcd_ddc_swaptosystem and omaplcd_ddc_process_vsyncflip in omapfb_displayclass.c do look interesting, but unfortunately the functions that are called to register them with mbxaccess just don't (mbxaccess_RegisterDisplayClassDevice and mbxaccess_RegisterCmdProcList in mbxaccess_pvrclassjtable.c).

Ok, so I tried to compile a example GL ES 1.x app in the DIABLO_ARMEL Scratchbox target, and compiling works with the included headers (from MBX_Linux_SDK/OVG/SDKPackage/Builds/OVG/LinuxMVX11ARMV6/Include) but when it comes to linking the object files with the libraries, I get the following error:

Code:
ERROR: Source object libGLES_CM.so has EABI version 5, but target glestest has EABI version 4
This has already been mentioned in an earlier post in this thread.

Do we need to obtain versions of the library for EABI version 4 (if so, can someone arrange this?) or can we somehow specify the EABI version in the DIABLO_ARMEL Scratchbox target?

Code:
ERROR: Source object libGLES_CM.so has EABI version 5, but target glestest has EABI version 4
Do we need to obtain versions of the library for EABI version 4 (if so, can someone arrange this?) or can we somehow specify the EABI version in the DIABLO_ARMEL Scratchbox target?
Ah yes, forgout about this. For now, just binary edit the library file ELF header, replace 0x05 with 0x04 at offset 0x27 iirc. Ugly, but works.

(Mer doesn't have this problem. The plan was indeed to get a EABI version 4 file, dunno what happened here)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
For now, just binary edit the library file ELF header, replace 0x05 with 0x04 at offset 0x27 iirc. Ugly, but works.
Thanks, that indeed let me compile and link the test app The only problem now is that on my device, I don't get the chance to start anything (although it did work some days ago). The kernel modules load, I can create the new device nodes and set permissions and even start mbxdaemon, but "glinfo" and friends just hang with no output after starting them. dmesg tells me (this might or might not be related to the hanging):

Code:
[  131.757812] request OMAPLCD IRQ failedrequest OMAPLCD IRQ failed<1>Unhandled fault: external abort on non-linefetch (0x808) at 0x4002b024
In case anyone wants to try and compile some GLES code, here's a kludgy Python script that helps you patch the version byte in the ELF header, so you can link your ABI version 4 code against the libraries:

Code:
import sys

for filename in sys.argv[1:]:
    d = open(filename, 'rb').read()
    nd = d[:0x27] + chr(4) + d[0x28:]
    open(filename, 'wb').write(nd)
(Usage example: "python patch.py *.so")

The GL-specific libraries I needed to pass to the linker were:

Code:
-lGLES_CM -lIMGegl -lsrv_um_1.1.35.630 -lEGL

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thp For This Useful Post: