Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I am on ATT and will have to switch to T mobile to use the N900. For me I look at this as a bonus, I am not on contract as I always buy unlocked phones and go month to month. Here in NYC since the release of the iPhone 3G and 3GS the ATT network is so overtaxed that it is barely even EDGE speeds anymore. I attribute this to every second person I see in downtown Manhattan using an iPhone. I am hoping that the T-Mobile 3G network is more robust simply due to no iPhone users on HSPA.

In an ideal world Nokia would release two variants one on 900/1700/2100 and the other on 850/1900/2100 but I have a feeling that this phone is going to be exclusive on T-Mobile for a while.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I'm not on an iPhone plan (my data and texting costs $15/mo), but I'm attached to a family plan which has two of them, and I'm not willing to pay a bunch of extra money to switch to an individual T-Mobile plan.
If you are not willing to switch then there is nothing anyone can do. As far as nokia's history suggests, it will release another model but it will definitely take a couple of months after the release and it will not be subsidized.

Don't you read this forum - the cell part is optional. You have the option of buying a 700$ tablet with a 3.5" screen and connecting it with bluetooth to a cellular phone that is connected to your favourite network.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Don't you read this forum - the cell part is optional. You have the option of buying a 700$ tablet with a 3.5" screen and connecting it with bluetooth to a cellular phone that is connected to your favourite network.
If I'm forced to that measure I'd rather wait to see if a true tablet is coming.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I too am on ATT and T-Mobile (my previous provider) sucks in signal strength by my area.

And if I have to tether my N900 to my N95 to connect to ATT, then whats the point of a convergent device ? But good to know thats a worst case scenario.

If T-Mobile's 3G coverage has improved since then I may switch (since its true NYC where I work - has bad ATT reception due to iPhone usres overload) to T-Mob.

But I still think Nokia will bring multiple devices for the different spectrums, but only after letting T-Mobile ride their 'exclusive' arrangement deal for some time.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Just for fun:

Of US N8x0 users, maybe 1/3 (figuring equally for AT&T, Verizon, TMobile) are currently on TMobile, of that maybe 1/4 are near a point where they can get out of there contracts (+-3 months is 1/4 of 2yr) so roughly 8-9% could get a subsidized phone w/o substantial cost to get out of current contract. Double that for the folks that don't care. 16-20% of current tablet US tablet users could get a cheap / don't care about cost N900.

I'd guess that due to lock-in and contracts, adoption will be slow here in the US. Many of us are in the same boat as GA, too expensive to switch (in terms of money and coverage).

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
At least for those on AT&T we can surmise a AT&T version of the phone once the t-mobile exclusive is done.

But I'm happily on a small carrier that is CDMA (i.e the same bands Verizon, Sprint use) -- Nokia doesn't appear to do ANY high end phones for CDMA, and so I think I'm up a creek without a paddle on the N900....

Nathan.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
At least for those on AT&T we can surmise a AT&T version of the phone once the t-mobile exclusive is done.

But I'm happily on a small carrier that is CDMA (i.e the same bands Verizon, Sprint use) -- Nokia doesn't appear to do ANY high end phones for CDMA, and so I think I'm up a creek without a paddle on the N900....

Nathan.
Now is a good time to switch. I imagine it will take atleast 6 months for nokia to release a tablet variant. By that time you can sell the phone and buy the next wide screen tablet. I plan to do that.

GA is right though..T-Mobile 3G coverage sucks ***

http://www.cellularmaps.com/3g_compare.shtml

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigr3dd0g For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

Nathan.
That's based on the old war with Qualcomm... which has now become a marriage. Look for new devices soon. Now the only thing that holds CDMA back is the reluctance toward easily-swapped SIM cards.