Posts: 76 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Pittsburgh, PA USA
I've been connecting to my university's network since I bought my N9 back in October. Now they have changed something. I think it requires a certificate - which I've downloaded and installed and turned on all the settings. (They are also moving to eduroam - whatever that is.) I have the settings:

Security method: WPA EAP
WPA EAP type: PEAP
Select certificate: None (it won't let me select any certificate)
EAP method: EAP MSCHAPv2
username
password
Advanced settings
Proxy: no proxy
auto-retrieve IP address: on
auto-retrieve DNS address: on
Manual username: on
username
Require client authentication: off
Hidden WI-FI: off
WPA2 only mode: off

This has always worked as I said. It stopped a few weeks ago. IT (at University of Pittsburgh) says the certificates are not needed for mobile phones - but the connection stopped working after they made the change as far as I know.

I've tried changing things but no success. I don't know how to run any diagnostics. The connection fails, says there is something wrong with the connection or it can't authenticate.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I use the wi-fi at home and with a Clear mobile modem.

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
Sorry, can't help with your problem, but -

http://www.eduroam.org/index.php?p=faq

easy

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by rabilon View Post
I've been connecting to my university's network since I bought my N9 back in October. Now they have changed something. I think it requires a certificate - which I've downloaded and installed and turned on all the settings. (They are also moving to eduroam - whatever that is.) I have the settings:

Security method: WPA EAP
WPA EAP type: PEAP
Select certificate: None (it won't let me select any certificate)
EAP method: EAP MSCHAPv2
username
password
Advanced settings
Proxy: no proxy
auto-retrieve IP address: on
auto-retrieve DNS address: on
Manual username: on
username
Require client authentication: off
Hidden WI-FI: off
WPA2 only mode: off

This has always worked as I said. It stopped a few weeks ago. IT (at University of Pittsburgh) says the certificates are not needed for mobile phones - but the connection stopped working after they made the change as far as I know.

I've tried changing things but no success. I don't know how to run any diagnostics. The connection fails, says there is something wrong with the connection or it can't authenticate.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I use the wi-fi at home and with a Clear mobile modem.
find settings for eduroam for linux, that worked for me on n900 when connecting to eduroam, and youl need the cert

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sao Paulo / Brazil
I use PEAP network here at my job, and I needed to install a certificate on my N8, but I didnīt have to do it on my N9.

same problem here. used the same settings as OP to connect to U Pitt network with a nokia n9. mysteriously stopped working recently.

The configuration outline below is what used to work...
http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/display...ECURE+wireless

Same problem as OP and the Univ of Pitt network. Used the same configuration on my Nokia N9 but recently I keep getting authentication error. Other devices not affected.

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
I don't think you need to install any certificate when it's eduroam, well I didn't have to as my school is also in eduroam-program and the certificate is "Thawte ..." which is preinstalled on N9.

for "Manual username" I have username@domain, you could try with yours.

Tags
certificate, nokia n9, wpa eap