Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
So what lesson should we all collectively as a society learn? Everything should be configurable to the end user as much as possible.

Lower-down components should be built in a flexible manner, that allow varying front-ends, and front-ends should themselves be rather flexible/configurable, and easy to exchange for other front-ends.
And that is exactly what the BB10 hub does... the user decides what he/she wants to see in the hub ...

Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I don't really get this one, could you elaborate on it? To me the UI is very consistent:
Only on the first view...

Swipe to the right could:
1. bring up the ambiance switcher
2. Minimize the app from the main screen of the app
3. bring you one site back in the app (but not in the browser...)

Pulley menu could be either on top or bottom and could or couldn't present any further options - sometimes only the about info...

That's not consistent.... and it's even worse, that every dev does it different - you can learn it of course for every app but first it's always try and error until you found the function you need - I would prefer to have things in the same place in every app - pull for this, swipe for that, tap for...

But I like the UI anyway, so it's just about details ;-) and usability for non techies ;-) - my girlfriend tried it for 5 minutes and gave up - still prefers her N8 as in Symbian there are crosses an arrows and... that show you where to tap ;-)

I don't really get this one, could you elaborate on it? To me the UI is very consistent:
- swipe from the side in an app returns to the home screen
- swipe from the bottom anywhere shows the events screen
- swipe from the top closes the app (why is there still no option to make this just immediately lock the screen instead of having to first go to to the home screen)
- if there is a pulley menu, pulling down opens it (or pulling up, depending on where the indicator(s) are)
There is now inconsistency, you used to swipe right (swipe from inside to the left) to:
Send email
Install/update app in Store
etc

Now all these actions have been moved to Pulley menu as people were complaining about accidental sent emails I assume. Extra item for the rather limited pulley menu and kinda kills the original 'left go back, right proceed' approach, shame, but hey, they listen to complains, so there's that

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
That's why I don't like tbe Jolla's email clinet, it puts all my eggs (new, unread emails) in one basket. The whole point of having 7 different email accounts is separation, I do not want my TMO notifications, emails from relatives and business emails grouped together.)
The front page in the email app is a list of email accounts, click on each one and you only see the emails for that account. That's where you have your separation. They don't put all your eggs in one basket at all.

The unified unread mail inbox below the email accounts list is, at least for me, a nice way to triage all my unread mail although perhaps Jolla might want to let users select which accounts are shown in that list.

I'm sure we'll see changes when they do their tablet UI as tablet real-estate allows an almost traditional desktop layout.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by elastic View Post
Only on the first view...

Pulley menu could be either on top or bottom and could or couldn't present any further options - sometimes only the about info...
How do you bring up the ambience switcher? I've never managed to do that

Pulley menus are on the bootom only if the dev felt that four are not enough and added more on the bottom. I know of only one app that has both top and bottom pulles identical - TinyEdit.

Actually TinyEdit highlights the weakness of pulley menus. They are a great hammer but TinyEdit has shown that not everything is a nail. Saving a long file in the middle of editing is impossible without losing your current position. The dev tried to somehow alleviate it by adding the bottom pulley menu but that helps only when you are close to the end of the file.

The rest is just a learning curve. I did not find any inconsistency. Swipe back to previous screen (cancel) etc. I would prefer if you had to confirm changes in settings pages rather than apply them immediately but that seems to be the trend everywhere so... tough life.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
The unified unread mail inbox below the email accounts list is, at least for me, a nice way to triage all my unread mail although perhaps Jolla might want to let users select which accounts are shown in that list.
That's exactly the one I find objectionable. I would prefer to see only the accounts there, no emails at all.

You like it, I don't. An option would be nice indeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
The first two are about the context you're in. What you're advocating is consistency of behaviour regardless of context and in those cases I kind of agree, mostly because I think the Ambiance switcher should die a horrible death. Left and right edge swipes should always go back to the multi-tasking view no matter where you are or perhaps left should go to multi-tasking, right to Ambiance or whatever it is replaced with (hint: a decent events view).

The third however is not an edge swipe, it's a swipe inside the screen boundaries. I've seen a number of people try my Jolla and before that the N9 and absolutely not get the difference between edge swipes and in-screen in-app swipes.

Dave999 for instance had no idea that you could edge swipe to accept or decline actions in-screen and instead was pressing the top corners while complaining about Sailfish's poor one handed support.

The UI requires a bit of re-learning but it's forgiving: you can half swipe something to see what it will do and then swipe it back if you don't like what it does. You can delete stuff and then tap the remorse timer coutdown if you made a mistake. That's a great idea compared to tapping on cryptic icons and endless Are you sure? dialogs in the other mobile UIs.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Oh yes! I absolutely LOVE the remorse timer and I hope it to make its way to the desktop world one day. Although it also has its weekness: you can't speed it up. Delete-are you sure-yes can be done under a second, remorse has to run out (and you can't just close the application as that counts as stop).

How do you bring up the ambience switcher? I've never managed to do that
It only appears when you've favourited more than one Ambience.

Go to the Gallery app, create multiple ambiences from your photos in the pulley menu on each photo.

Back out to the Gallery front page and in Ambiences, click on the ambiences you've created and make them favourites by clicking on the star under each photo.

Now on the multi-tasking view, edge swipe in from the left or right and you have the horror that is the Ambience switcher.

Now that you've seen that, go back into the Gallery and un-favourite all your ambiences and you'll not see the Ambience switcher by accident ever again.

Pulley menus are on the bootom only if the dev felt that four are not enough and added more on the bottom. I know of only one app that has both top and bottom pulles identical - TinyEdit.
Not always. Tweetian for instance has a pulley menu of just two items and they're both the same on the top and bottom. The reason for the bottom pulley menu is that with twitter you might have scrolled all the way down the list of tweets and the pulley is now off the top of the list. Tweetian has a permanent toolbar with icons so a bottom pulley menu is always available no matter where in the list you are. This is the main problem with pulley menus - they're attached to the content usually, not the chrome if indeed there is any chrome at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

That's not consistent.... and it's even worse, that every dev does it different - you can learn it of course for every app but first it's always try and error until you found the function you need - I would prefer to have things in the same place in every app - pull for this, swipe for that, tap for...
Honestly, that doesn't really have anything to do with consistency in the UI, and everything to do with consistency between developers (and not following guidelines). Of course this is different in any app. Do you have an example of an OS where every application has the same menu options in the same place every time?

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Do you have an example of an OS where every application has the same menu options in the same place every time?
Mac OS?

Since the beginning of time, it's always been Apple menu, App menu, File, Edit, View, app specific menus, Help.

The order is mandatory.

And dialogs have the buttons in a specific order too.

And shortcuts are almost always the same - no guessing what Command-W will do in this app but not another.

App developers have to go some way to circumvent the OS.

Just saying. Apple got it pretty much right back in the 80s. Oddly IBM did too in OS/2 before the horror of Windows and Linux UIs. I have decades of muscle memory on Macs now that is very hard to overcome. I've tried various flavours of Linux UI and always get so pissed off with the inconsistencies.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, sailfish os