Active Topics

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
thanks; that's odd, I did try it but it moaned something about not being able to read block 0.

Will try again, thanks.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The default timeout is 30 seconds - the window of oppurtunity is plenty long IMHO. There's been a few previous posts about changing the timeout/default selection - can't recall the specific search keywords but you should be able to track them down with the search feature.
I'm not having any luck with the search feature. Can someone tell me how to change the boot menu timeout from 30 seconds to 3? I found ./mnt/initfs/bootmenu.conf but it looks like /mnt/initfs is a -ro partition. I thought I'd ask before digging any further. I've already hosed my NIT once, had to reflash.... and I never want to do it again

Last edited by st5150; 2008-06-08 at 09:40.

Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
I'm not having any luck with the search feature. Can someone tell me how to change the boot menu timeout from 30 seconds to 3? I found ./mnt/initfs/bootmenu.conf but it looks like /mnt/initfs is a -ro partition. I thought I'd ask before digging any further. I've already hosed my NIT once, had to reflash.... and I never want to do it again
You need to make a bootmenu.conf file and add it to your initfs_flasher directory and then rerun the flasher. Fanoush has included samples of the text file in the zip for the flasher. There are also several samples posted in various threads here on the itT.

Basically you add the line

MENU_TIMEOUT=3

Okay, thanks for the info, I'll look into it. I just used penguin bait's clone deb so I'm not familiar with famoush's flasher, but I think I can take it from here.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by PinCushionQueen View Post
You need to make a bootmenu.conf file and add it to your initfs_flasher directory and then rerun the flasher. Fanoush has included samples of the text file in the zip for the flasher. There are also several samples posted in various threads here on the itT.

Basically you add the line

MENU_TIMEOUT=3
No need to make a new file, just rename the appropriate example file (770 or n8x0) to bootmenu.conf and set it up how you like.

It should be noted to anybody reading this thread with questions about bootmenu, the .zip contains a perfectly good README, so do what the file says and read it. . . .

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-06-09 at 02:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Hi
I have updated the sys to the Diablo and rerun the whole process. But at the end of initfs_flash, it reported an error "unkown initfs version 2008-24, cannot install bootmenu"

So, do we have any update solution for Diablo?

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...=19639&page=27

seems to work... but i didnt like the partion size it created

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by whereur View Post
So, do we have any update solution for Diablo?
Yes, the http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/initfs_flasher.tgz archive was updated few days ago with Diablo support.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
No need to make a new file, just rename the appropriate example file (770 or n8x0) to bootmenu.conf and set it up how you like.

It should be noted to anybody reading this thread with questions about bootmenu, the .zip contains a perfectly good README, so do what the file says and read it. . . .
It is probably common sense to the Linux guru or GA, but not to the Linux uninitiated. If you want to modify the bootmenu.conf.example, you have to do it with a word processor that DO NOT add a LF/return to the end of the line. Leafpad, vi, emelfm2 are OK, M$Word, tablet/notes, notepad, wordpad are NOT OK. Penalty? It ranges from bootmenu showed up with 'funny' character at the end of the choice or, even worse, continous reboot. If continuous reboot, dont panic, just press the escape button at the menu screen, and hold on to it, that will take you to a flash boot for you to change things. Do not have to reflash for this reason.

Why do bun knows it? Cause I was there , painfully and panick.
Hope this helps someone,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-06-28 at 09:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
How do I upgrade my MMC clone to the new diablo kernel?

Could I flash the new kernel and then copy just the new kernel to the MMC partition?