Read first few posts/pages?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 3,174 | Thanked: 5,683 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
For me, compcache works and I feel the speed/occasional lags tradeoff OK
Could be you are not having lots of background processes, daemons and so on running? I am always having > 200 MB swap in use. Maybe for a lesser amount compcache is working?

Currently I've swapset installed, so I think it sets swaps after start of Hildon-desktop
Then it is normal, that a few MBs are used within eMMC swap, as swapset enables compcache at a later time.
Could be done a bit earlier.

I mean:
If data used 'often' are swapped in compcache, we could try to swap out 'old' data from compcache to 'real' swap in order to keep most used data in ram. I did not found any mechanism like that - and at a second glance it looks like it won't make sense in a desktop system where we don't have so many constraints and compressed file systems. I am currently using two smaller eMMC swaps instead of a big one, and it feels more laggy but with shorter lags. It is really hard to tell if there are differences without a test suite and with so many use cases.
Now I understand.
No, as freemangordon stated in some earlier post. There is no control when/where/which swap is used, if compcache is enabled.

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Just wanted to chime in that I've finally gotten around to making swapset it's own thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 265 | Thanked: 666 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ .pl
quick instruction how to make it run on every boot:

new file: /etc/event.d/rc-local
Code:
start on MOUNTS_OK

console output
exec /etc/rc.local
new file: /etc/rc.local
Code:
#!/bin/sh

echo "[/etc/rc.local]"

/sbin/swapoff -a
/sbin/modprobe ramzswap num_devices=4 disksize_kb=32768
/sbin/mkswap /dev/ramzswap0
/sbin/swapon /dev/ramzswap0
/sbin/swapon -a
as a bonus you can put even more things to run in /etc/rc.local. cheers!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KotCzarny For This Useful Post:
Do you think CompCache is giving any benefit on N900? I tried it in the past but found it would cause big problems when the ram swap was full.

Posts: 265 | Thanked: 666 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ .pl
make it small enough (16-32M imo) and it might be of some use, but nothing will help if you run too many apps/widgets at the same time.

The Following User Says Thank You to KotCzarny For This Useful Post: