Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
I just bought my second from ebay from some guy in Texas listed as used but it was mint as fuq for $285. Amazon got them NEW for $350ish

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Oh, heck yeah. If you want to run all your Linux apps on a cell-phone sized device, particularly if you don't want to jailbreak/root/otherwise compromise the device to do it, this is the best thing out there. Now that Nokia is becoming a Microsoft subsidiary, it may be the only one for years to come as well.

It's a beautiful little device.
run all linux apps? I ran ubuntu for the first time 2 days ago... are there apps, like desktop widgets or something, that you run on a debian distro, that you can run on the n900?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
If you wanted the N900 before this, nothing has changed. Nokia's support has been decried as completely ditched/abandoned/cancelled for this device like... 3-4 times in massive waves, already. It is not less supported now that it was before this announcement. Support has slowly been tapering off for a long time not, but the bottom line is, if you already know the N900 is for you, you haven't lost anything with this announcement. Other than maybe a bit less Qt apps available in the same time window in the future. But there's very little actually 'needed' on the N900 nowadays, that isn't being written for it, or hasn't been already. 'Course, depends on who you ask, but my point still stands - if you're sure you'll like the N900 already, it won't be any less good at this point, and the potential still untapped is entirely a community related thing, not a Nokia-support dependent thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
in another thread tonight, Jaffa described the N900 as a "Concorde moment". which is a very apt analogy.

Since the N900 was announced, there has been nothing released or announced which comes close to the overall feature set.

It is a unique machine. if you can live with its quirks, and the fact that it is effectively only community supported, then yea get one.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
in another thread tonight, Jaffa described the N900 as a "Concorde moment". which is a very apt analogy.

Since the N900 was announced, there has been nothing released or announced which comes close to the overall feature set.

It is a unique machine. if you can live with its quirks, and the fact that it is effectively only community supported, then yea get one.
I'd agree with this.

Likewise if Nokia actually releases their Meego phone before quietly scuttling the project. I'll buy it with the knowledge that community support is all I'll be getting -- luckily, it's been enough to get by with the N900.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
run all linux apps? I ran ubuntu for the first time 2 days ago... are there apps, like desktop widgets or something, that you run on a debian distro, that you can run on the n900?
Well, ok, I do tend to favor console apps over guis. But then, I started out using Linux back before there was a Gnome or a KDE. I guess I'm just kinda happy I can carry around a terminal emulator in my pocket now.

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Not sure what's out there these days.. but if there's nothing better H/W wise then Yes get it!

Originally Posted by mustafaupk View Post
hello folks,
i have been looking keenly at the recent developments and was wondering if it would be a dumb idea to buy an n900 now since meego is most likely dead and maemo has been abandoned? I am a linux user and would love to have a device like the n900 with me at all times but with the recent news i'm not sure? What says you..?
no .

You cannot have my N900, get your own!

The Following User Says Thank You to xopher For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ san jose, california
well, for what it's worth, i'm returning to the n900 after a year with the Droid X.
why? skype video calling. i haven't found any other non iphone mobile that will do this yet.
I say "DO IT!"

Last edited by m_sparks; 2011-02-12 at 23:53.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to m_sparks For This Useful Post:

Tags
kajko the tool, kajko+elop=love, twigdouche