Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Just out of curiosity (and it is curiosity), what do you feel makes it greater?

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
android browser still feels like a phone whereas microb is pretty damn close to a desktop experience. on the whole i found the browsing experience to be kind of clunky on android. microb admittedly sucks on 2g though.. opera is more suited for that.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
The good part about MicroB compared to say the SGS2 browser is that with the N900 you have a hardware keyboard with a backbutton and no need for a splitscreen keyboard etc. Thats what makes it so nice to browse on IMO.

Other than that the SGS2 browser is... outstandingly good. Only problem is that I havent found a way to switch useragent on it without having to repeat the process every time I launch the browser.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
RIM's Playbook browser is currently the best mobile browser I've seen. Based on WebKit, accelerated, JIT, SVG support, Flash + the OS has the same kind of all apps running at once multitasking like N900 has.

Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
Eh, i still think the sgs2 browser is the best, but thats probably because of 4g and the phones hardware and not the browser as an isolated application.

I had an archos 70 for a while (then I killed it by dropping it).

The best Android browser I tried was Dolphin Browser HD. It has tabs, flash support, side-bar bookmarks (like FF/Fennec) and even has gestures. Pretty great browser if you ask me.

But I still love microB...

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
android browser still feels like a phone whereas microb is pretty damn close to a desktop experience. on the whole i found the browsing experience to be kind of clunky on android. microb admittedly sucks on 2g though.. opera is more suited for that.
True.

I use both. The android browser defaults to mobile sites more often and lacks the detailed gesture controls and pc KB commands such as simple copy and paste (you have to use a menu and even then it is clunky)

Basically, the interaction with the Android browser is far worse than Microb.

Now, the AB loads faster and plays flash very well of course. I enjoy using it as long as I don't have to copy text, play a game or use detailed desktop like interactions. If so, it is Microb all the way.

My bank website shows up the desktop on Microb but comes up mobile on AB.

The AB is the second best desktop browser but the best smartphone browser, if that makes sense....

Originally Posted by davetech View Post
I'm curious, are there any other N900 style desktop browsing experience with full flash on any other phone? I love my N900 and browse on it and use the media players (mplayer and SiB) all the time. Having these features is a must for any future upgrade phone.
Have you tried it with the Firefox extensions, shown on another thread on TMO recently as they seem to speed up MicroB and make it an even better browser in my view.

It seems as fast as my netbook to load website now.

Last edited by droitwichgas; 2011-05-24 at 19:40.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Deaconclgi View Post
The AB is the second best desktop browser but the best smartphone browser, if that makes sense....
Well, the best is little subjective Awkward navigation, no multitouch (except gestures) until 3.0 (OS issue actually), no SVG at all, broken CSS transitions until 2.3 and non accelerated including in 3.0... there is more, but as a web developer I am subjective too

Dolphin reuses the same WebKit engine so it is better only in UI.

Last edited by Bundyo; 2011-05-24 at 20:48.