Active Topics

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
@travik

thanks for that little test, i thought of conducting my own but laziness kicked in! switching back to power saving mode now captain!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
oh. I mixed "power saving" and "wlan transmission power" options in wlan advanced options. The latter should be left on 100mW value and power saving on maximum, but if you have problems with power saving option then it is of course good idea to try change it as you seem to have done.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, England.
Maximum power saving DOES have a big impact on browsing speed via wifi.
I had problems with slow loading of pages etc for ages and after a google search i disabled power saving and it solved the problem.
I now have power saving on intermediate and it seems fime. Maximum has a big impact on speed though.....

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by slender View Post
oh. I mixed "power saving" and "wlan transmission power" options in wlan advanced options. The latter should be left on 100mW value and power saving on maximum, but if you have problems with power saving option then it is of course good idea to try change it as you seem to have done.
Can you elaborate more on why it 'should' be left at 100mW as I can see it being the cause for 'hot' devices and using up quite a bit more power? I might be way off though of course.

Also, why power saving on Maximum? I'm running on Intermediate and have so far not seen any real negative impact to the power consumption (<10% if I were to estimate without any controlled test).
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

100mW lets the access point see a better signal, thus it's much more likely to negotiate full speed (instead of half/quarter/one eight, as it quickly does if the signal isn't good). High speed = shorter bursts = less battery consumption. 10mW is available only because it's the only legal power in some countries (i.e. 100mW isn't allowed).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post: