Active Topics

First of all, will I ever get rid of the Captcha? (this is my 1st post)

Second, and on topic:
I sometimes send an SMS, and it says it's forever sending, although my contact on the other side confirms that it has received the text msg already.
This isn't a big of a deal, since I only loose for a few minutes (sometimes hours) the information that tells me when the message was received.
What REALLY bugs me is when people send ME an sms:
If I'm using the phone, I can see a preview on the notifications bar, and if it was locked, I can also see a preview on the lock screen...
However, if I swype at the lock screen, or click the notifications bar, or even go to the "Messages" app manually, it surprisingly doesn't show the damn message on the conversation.

This usually happens when I'm texting with 2+ people at the same time... I'm guessing this is somehow caused by a problem with my Message tracker or something? If that exists...
Also, is it possible that my "idle apps" are causing the phone to become a little slower? (idle apps are apps that can be closed, although they still do their "jobs", like ProfileMatic, MyMoves, EasyAnswer, etc...)

I've been having these problems almost since I can remember...
I could live with this problem of only being able to see the messages after a few minutes (sometimes hours) after I receive them, but I'm sick of comments telling me to throw my phone away, or send it to warranty :/
I LOVE my N9, I've never seen such great piece of technology, that's why I REALLY don't want to send it to warranty, knowing that they'll probably just format the phone to fix it :/
And as obvious, the worst thing someone can tell me is that my phone sucks... but I'm getting a bit off-topic here...

Any ideas on how I can MAYBE fix this?

If you can tell me which is the "App" I need to restart, instead of the whole phone, that would be brilliant, although it doesn't fix the problem, it could save me precious minutes since the phone takes 1 or 2 minutes to restart completely... (I'm talking about restarting the Messaging app, since I've seen you can restart the Stand-by screen also, if you're doing changes to it (I've read the whole topic about that)).

Sorry for the long post, and any help/reply is much appreciated!

Later,
Chinoman10.

Last edited by Chinoman10; 2012-09-17 at 07:34.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Do you have fastern9 installed?

The messaging app can be killed in terminal as user:

killall messaging-ui

Edit: I've on many occassions had 3-7 chat windows open for SMSes and IMs but never faced the same issue...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-17 at 06:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Do you have fastern9 installed?

The messaging app can be killed in terminal as user:

killall messaging-ui
No, no I haven't...
I've also read about 5 pages or so about that App.
I haven't installed it since I've read that it bugs some other stuff because of lower priorities.. Like GPS and such.. Also read that at the latest version it drains more battery as well...
Enough about FasterN9..

So, if I kill the Messaging App, will it restart automatically, or at least when I open it through the home screen?

Thanks for the "quick reply" (I'm using to replying in less than an hour, but I know that in these forums, if I get a reply in less than 12h I can consider myself lucky ).

I'll be waiting for the next one ,
Chinoman10.

PS: I can see the CAPTCHA is recurrent in this forum

Well this forum too has quick replies of much shorter than 12hrs so don't fret I had seen your thread earlier when you posted it but was too lazy too reply

Killing the messaging-ui will close all open windows...If you then receive a new text or im, you will be notified of it automatically...You wouldn't need to open it thru' the home screen...

Can I have your tracker logs?

They are found in /home/user/.local/share/tracker/

Just zip them all up and attach them here or link them here...

Edit: Captcha will go away I think once you reach 10posts...

Well this forum too has quick replies of much shorter than 12hrs so don't fret I had seen your thread earlier when you posted it but was too lazy too reply

Killing the messaging-ui will close all open windows...If you then receive a new text or im, you will be notified of it automatically...You wouldn't need to open it thru' the home screen...

Can I have your tracker logs?

They are found in /home/user/.local/share/tracker/

Just zip them all up and attach them here or link them here...

Edit: Captcha will go away I think once you reach 10posts...
I can see that, I'm glad to actually be on the other side for a change (I've been mod/admin on forums since I was 14.. since then I'm used to give the replies as fast as I can give so nobody gets tired of waiting ^^, but I've never went on a useful forum where I'd have a similar "service").

Anyways...
I'll take a look and find them.
As soon as I find and zip them, I'll edit this post or reply if there's a new one in the meantime.
Refresh once in a while

Thanks in advance,
Chinoman10.

Edit: Any way of doing it fast without using the terminal? :/ I've tried USB and even using a Web Server (from N9) but I can't access the user folder, or the home one for that matter...
Edit2: Used a QAD File Manager that I downloaded while it was still free.. Works much better than the Web Server app I downloaded (since it also does that, and better)... A Zip is attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip home-user-.local-share-tracker-.zip (4.6 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Chinoman10; 2012-09-17 at 07:19.

Use WinSCP and navigate to the path...

Use WinSCP and navigate to the path...
Personally I prefer to use FileZilla on my PC & Laptop.
But is there a FTP server app for N9?

Thanks for the tip anyways

Later,
Chinoman10.

Edit: Thanks for the Captcha info I'm more relieved now xD

Nope...nothing interesting in your tracker logs recently...

Just one thing...I realized your logs are from December 2011 onwards so you are on which fw version? How did you upgrade to your fw?

Edit: FYI, I'm not a mod/admin etc...Just a regular user who helps out in his free time...This is a community; everyone is free to ask/offer advice...

Last edited by thedead1440; 2012-09-17 at 07:27.

Nope...nothing interesting in your tracker logs recently...
Does SMS have trackers too?

Only recently I've discovered this forum, and only today I decided that this forum was worth registered and being part of.
So I'm not really into a lot, although I consider myself a fairly advanced user since I do a lot of Java programming and ASP as well... (also installed 6GB of Qt as well... I hope I can develop something myself ^^)

Thanks in advance,
Chinoman10.

PS: Next time I have a "crysis" I'll try your method of rebooting the Messaging app... If it doesn't work, or it's a bit faulty, I'll make a video demonstrating my problem so you can be sure of what I'm talking about thanks for the help so far!

Just one thing...I realized your logs are from December 2011 onwards so you are on which fw version? How did you upgrade to your fw?
I'll check.. And edit as soon as I confirm, but I think it's PR1.2.
Edit: Confirmed: Version: "PR1.2 (30.2012.07-1.398.1_PR_398)"
Edit2: I usually upgrade on-the-fly when my phone tell me it has updates. But I've heard PR1.3 has been released for a few months now, I even saw the official release posts by Nokia, but as usual they said that it's normal if it takes a few months for it to arrive at my country (Portugal), so I've been waiting ever since... I also try and check manually, but of no avail...

Edit: FYI, I'm not a mod/admin etc...Just a regular user who helps out in his free time...This is a community; everyone is free to ask/offer advice...
Yea, I know that mate As I said, I've been using forums since I was a kid, so I pretty much know the differences specially since I'm usually on the "other side" as well

Later,
Chinoman10.

Last edited by Chinoman10; 2012-09-17 at 07:33.

You might want to re-install the messaging components once and for all to prevent any doubts from that part...

There are .db files for tracker too in /home/user/.config/tracker/ You might want to use sqllite to investigate the .db files the next time this issue pops up...