Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...o-maemo-5.html

Ryan Paul wrote a good summary on what was talked about the UI in summit...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I noticed that here in Vancouver there seems to be a lot of open APs with "default" or "linksys" or some such name. In Berlin, every access point was named, and almost all of them were WPA protected. I was quite surprised.
That's typical in both the UK and the bits of France/Germany I've visited. Finding an open AP in San Francisco was trivial, pretty much anywhere. Such a use-case doesn't work in the UK.

I noticed that here in Vancouver there seems to be a lot of open APs with "default" or "linksys" or some such name. In Berlin, every access point was named, and almost all of them were WPA protected. I was quite surprised.
Simple market dynamics, at least in France. All DSL providers here deliver a set-top box that is a modem, a router, a firewall, a Wifi AP, a VoIP gateway and a TV streaming device. Thus nobody buys their own router/APs anymore, which were often installed in their default configuration by unknowing users. The ISP boxes are WPA (and sometimes MAC)-protected out of the box, and so open wireless (which was often involuntarily) has all but disappeared during the mass rollouts of the last few years.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Isn't the (already shipping!) Archos 5 equipped with a OMAP3 CPU?? Is this one different from the one expected in the N900?

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK
According to the news reports it uses a OMAP35xx processor.

Must be the 3525 or 3530 as it has a DSP apparently.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
Isn't the (already shipping!) Archos 5 equipped with a OMAP3 CPU??
Yes. I've read it likely uses either the OMAP3525 or the OMAP3530.

Is this one different from the one expected in the N900?
Yes. The device Maemo 5 targets will likely use an OMAP34xx. The OMAP34xx series has a smaller ball-pitch and will sell in larger volumes than the OMAP35xx series.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Actually the UI is not half bad if you turn off most of the toolbars, put the remaining toolbars on the sides and go fullscreen. Some of us actually do use OOo on the tablet "for a long period of time;" perhaps we are already insane (by your definition), so that is why we are not driven there.

Evolution e-mail's UI, on the other hand, isn't very usable on the tablet. They don't let you change the layout enough.

I do need to say one thing; I know that desktop UI is not very nice on a handheld device. But, given the choice of a full-featured office suite with a desktop UI and a crappy little text editor with a nice mobile UI, I'll probably choose... both. Sometimes you need one, sometimes you need the other.

If it's not that bad, I may try it... Do the zoom keys work well? I tend to use them more than most other users I have discovered. What would be nice is to havesomething where we can map the toolbars to the switchview key and then scroll to an item using the d-pad. I liked that feature when it was featured on the 7710; I don't know if it will make it to maemo 5. It seems like the switch view has been mostly relegated to a show/hide key for the status and task bars. Please correct me if you know if I am wrong.

I don't mind desktop apps being available. My concerns are: 1) that maemo 5 discards some of UI features in the lieu of a more desktop like environment; 2) that the only variant of the N900 will have a keyboard; and 3) we end up with a lot of mediocre ported desktop apps instead of good maemo apps.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
You do understand that in this statement that you have validated the statement that the user interface, that is the screen that you utilize to be most productive within an application's use context, needs to address mobile use right. You actually invalidated the statement that the desktop UI (not UX, which is user experience and another layer completly) fits the tablet
Well, it's not exactly checkmate, but it is a point for the debate team

I encourage comments on UI support issues. I had to read a lot of irrelevant VoIP over HDPA comments on this thread so please indulge the Ui dialog. Thanks.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
on the topic of ui:
http://www.umpcportal.com/2008/09/ub...rst-boot-video

anyone else getting a deja vu from that one?

funny how canonical is going that way when nokia is going iphone/canola...

Last edited by tso; 2008-09-25 at 14:16.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by tso View Post
funny how canonical is going that way when nokia is going iphone/canola...
Good to know we still have a choice when Nokia goes for the high school market.

Ah... choice! I wait for the day when I buy a little tablet-like device without OS and decide at home if I want to install Maemo, Ubuntu Mobile or any other distro made for it - the same way I did with my desktop PC. It's only hardware, isn't it?

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:

Tags
job, n900