Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
But don't worry, someone will find a backdoor and unlock the device. Just like everything else.
that is, if they manage to grab the mindshare of the iphone, so that it becomes a matter of prestige to crack it...

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Recently I've played with the new Archos 5 just to find out about the new OMAP CPU (yes, again at Saturn Alexanderplatz). Man the thing is heavy. Too heavy. And the browser is slow! My first test was again to try to open a local file. No success, it does not understand "file://...". I simply hate this attitude... The screen however is just wonderful.

Last edited by gammer; 2008-09-29 at 21:51.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
The browser is slow? On an OMAP3? That is really sad. Really Sad. But its Archos, so...

Screen is OLED right? I hope all the new devices come out with OLED screens.

Edit: Ok, got confused with another device. Its just an LCD...

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2008-09-29 at 23:53.

i suspect that some will think any browser not going chrome fast on a quad core with 4 way sli will be slow, oh and lets back that up with a 100MB+ fiber connection to the net

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post

Screen is OLED right? I hope all the new devices come out with OLED screens.
Obviously no OLED (hm, not sure), but nevertheless very bright and with high contrast, also 4.8" is substantially better than 4.3".

Originally Posted by tso View Post
i suspect that some will think any browser not going chrome fast on a quad core with 4 way sli will be slow, oh and lets back that up with a 100MB+ fiber connection to the net
I had the Archos and my N800 side by side with the same network connection I guess Opera had to struggle with all these Archos' bonds.

Last edited by gammer; 2008-09-29 at 23:10.

so your saying it was slower then the n800?

Originally Posted by tso View Post
so your saying it was slower then the n800?
Not slower but only a little bit faster, say 30%. On the pages I visited there was almost no flash; N800 had flash off, Archos not. Bandwidth was low (WLAN shared by many customers obviously). I've surfed about 10 minutes. Maybe this weekend I'll do some more precise experiments.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by overflo View Post
I think the ARCHOS Generation 5G is the best solution for all people who wantbest tabletpc performace, it is opensource and it is better of a nokia nxxx. It have OMAP3 processor on Linux OS with WiFi and 3G connectivity, 4.8" screen with a resolution of 800x480.
I think you're wrong. Or at least have not used any Archos products 3G connectivity is only announced. No bluetooth. They don't let you NEAR the linux that's in there. Sorry, the Archos 5G is to the NIT's what gaming consoles are to PC-s. Each has a purpose, and if you think they address the same people and the same needs you're pretty wrong.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Interesting:

Possible attachment of numerous standard USB PC accessories**** (keyboard, mouse, memory key, memory cards reader, camera and other future computer accessories)

WTF______
Free Web Browser (Opera® Web browser with Adobe Flash® 9 video support) upon registration