Active Topics

Hi everyone. New to the forums and had a question. I'm seriously considering getting an n810, but what I want to know (and hope someone here knows) is:

Can I drop to the linux shell (command line) and code up some .java files using vi or emacs etc, and use java to javac compile my code and java to run it? Is this possible with the n810?

I'm not talking about using the n810 to run any kind of java web server. Just coding, compiling and running command line java programs.

Thanks!

The N810 comes with no Java support (no javac compiler and no java runtime). There's a 'jalimo' project somewhere, which could possibly be used - better do a search first though.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Yes, but not out of the box. For instance, you can install "Easy Debian" which includes Sun's Open Java.

Gammer - thank you. I had done a lot of searching about Java on the 810 and what I found seemed to be confusing or limited functionality or old, I hadnt found this, and this looks like a perfect solution!

Have you tried it? And from what I read - are they saying Easy Debian runs INSIDE maeomo, instead of you actually changing the OS on your 810 youre installing Easy Debian on top of the existing os?

Jeff

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You run Easy Debian in a "chroot", which is a "virtual environment" rather than a "virtual machine". You run Debian applications inside maemo (you use the maemo window manager, services, etc), but they use the Debian libraries rather than the maemo libraries.

The Sun Open Java actually runs fairly well compared to other (gcj) implementations. The little test applets on the Sun website run OK, but I wouldn't try running anything too heavy...