Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Oh man... this showed up on my Twitter feeds earlier. I doubt that people will support what's being said around these parts though.

Not in the least.
Man, around here, it feels like Nokia can do no wrong. It's like the Commodore/Atari/etc fans from the 80's STILL insisting their machines are relevant and that their company is the best while arranging chairs on the deck of a sinking ship.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
The n97 has been out for a while now, why did they suddenly get frustrated with Nokia now?
There was nothing sudden about these moves. The disenchantment has been building for some time.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
There was nothing sudden about these moves. The disenchantment has been building for some time.
It's true. If you had read the post from the website, you would see that both posters had been holding out hope against hope for some time that Nokia would get back into their good graces with phones that didn't disappoint. I suspect that If Nokia really does turn it around in the next couple of years, the folks at SymbianGuru will be happier than anyone and be the first in line to shell out 500+ dollars. .

Anyway. I'm glad this discussion hasn't turned into a spiraling progression of fanboyism and anger like so many other posts that are even slightly critical of Nokia or the N900.

This should be the model for all of our future discussions.

and it isn't strictly about phones, either. It's about the Nokia experience. Ovi for example has been a frustrating mystery...

Most of the people here don't like Nokia. They like maemo and the N900 (well the enthusiasts at least). =P.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

keep in mind that fanboyism can come from at least two motivations: elitism (Apple) or desperation (Maemo). Maemo users need to believe their investment was not in vain. That can lead to misguided defensiveness. Nothing sinister in that.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I can agree to quite a lot of his thoughts on that post. He has had a lot of love for Nokia. Now he is just facing reality and finally caved in. I can really understand that.

OVI Store sux. Well, it sure does on N900. Not sure about other Nokia phones. I also have to log in every single time I use it. Why is that? It's not even an app either. Not even a dynamic webpage. All static and requiring to click to change pages and wait for it to load. Just feels very clunky.

Nokia does need to learn a few things from how Apple does things. Such as using fancy terms (eg. Retina display, Facetime) and having top of the range hardware for their top of the range flagship phones. Well, iPhone4 isn't that top of the range in hw eitherbut at least it's close in most areas while LCD is top of the class in terms of resolution. Gimmicky terms pull in the non-techy buyers. It's a marketing technique 1-0-1. Nokia needs these special marketing words to increase awareness. Dunno, such as Ultra Photo Processing for camera portion, Nokia Accutouch multi-touchscreens etc etc. haha. Something fancy and something which differentiates Nokia phones from the rest. (and hopefully is actually something a bit special)

Nokia N8 is starting to look fairly average already and it's not even released yet. Look at the Samsung Galaxy S. It's much more powerful, has an OS that's got tons of support and it's already out. Where is the N8? Like the N8, N9 also seems to have only a 640x360 resolution screen from the rumours. If so, I know I won't be getting it.

Why not go overboard. Just go overboard on at least 1 phone in their 50+ phone lineup. Like with 2GB RAM, 1Ghz+ processor, 64GB built-in + MicroSD SDXC support, 4.3" 1024x640 Ultra-wide IPS LCD, 10MP camera with 1080i 30fps video recording in AVC format, HDMI out and concentrate on certain aspects for the OS (eg. Meego) such as most advanced desktop-like web brower with flash 10.1 support and ability to browse as efficiently as desktop using tabs, multi-threaded download manager, favourite groupings, last session memory etc, awesome media player with subtitle, pan/scan/scaling and multi-codec support with plug-ins support, a mini-docking station support that has USB keyboard/mouse, A/V out facility, HDMI/DVI out and network connection, camera app which is as good as standalone digital cameras with full manual controls (M/Tv/Av etc) and full video editing capability with online upload support etc etc. Charge it $1000, I'll buy it still. I'm sure MANY will still buy. Gawd, wish this phone i described above was the next Maemo5/6/MeeGo phone after the N900. lol.

I work in a IT company with a lot of IT people around me. All technical, many unix and windows engineers, developers etc. Most of them do not talk about getting a Nokia anymore. It's always HTC, Samsung, Apple. Nokia isn't even in the list of choices anymore.

Seriously, Nokia has a lot of work to do. They should be under a lot of pressure as if they don't do well soon with their new phones in both hardware (N8,N9 etc) and software (MeeGo, Symbian) and infrastructure (OVI etc), they will be losing a lot more of their hard-earned marketshare.

btw, I love my N900.

But it doesn't mean I love Nokia. Now where the heck is that 3D Rollercoaster game that they've been showing off for past 5 months???

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-07-03 at 04:56.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Let me just say that elitism is the basis of all fanboyism.

This basic assumption of "I'm better than you."; whether it's due to (perceived) ideological & technical superiority (maemo), or pervasiveness & pragmatism (android), or style & simplicity (iphone) or whatever.

So if you think that your camp is absof'inlutely superior than all others without fail... Well then, you know that there's a ridiculously high probability that you're a f'in fanboy.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Then why now? Why before the S^3 and n8 launch? Why shut down the site and cite the suckiness of the n97 as a reason at this point?

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
So if you think that your camp is absof'inlutely superior than all others without fail... Well then, you know that there's a ridiculously high probability that you're a f'in fanboy.
Hmm. Sounds a lot like religion.

There is no perfect device. Doubt there ever will be.
Gawd, wish I was the head of Samsung mobile Phones division. lol
Then there would be a chance at least.