Active Topics

You are reading the powertop results wrong - the P-states and C-states are two different tables, each with its own frequencies. It is not saying that C5 is at 250MHz, etc.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
You are reading the powertop results wrong - the P-states and C-states are two different tables, each with its own frequencies. It is not saying that C5 is at 250MHz, etc.
Yep you're absolutely right, my eyes must be crossed or something lol. Good thing I read the screen wrong and that the device is NOT operating above the frequency I specified

But the device does not seem to go any lower than 500mhz (as reported by cpufreq-info and powertop).

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
Here's the results (max scaling still set to 800Mhz)
I'm a bit worried that it never seems to go into any pstate lower than 500mhz.. The other 'overclocking' kernels included scaling down to 125mhz.
Installing your cpufreq-utils package does not automatically enable the cpufreq daemon, does it?
weird. maybe it is due to some cpufreq thresholds or the number of levels available
during boot (250-600). Does it work if you set the maximum to 600 or 700MHz?
According to several voice 125MHz doesn't make sense and only destabilizes.

cpufrequtils does not contain a daemon, but a startup script. it should not override any settings.

Originally Posted by titan View Post
weird. maybe it is due to some cpufreq thresholds or the number of levels available
during boot (250-600). Does it work if you set the maximum to 600 or 700MHz?
According to several voice 125MHz doesn't make sense and only destabilizes.

cpufrequtils does not contain a daemon, but a startup script. it should not override any settings.
I've been running the kernel since this morning, set @800mhz max and periodically monitoring the output of cpufreq-info. It appears to be spending some time in 250mhz now, not sure why it wasn't before (especially after a fresh reboot and not running any other applications other than terminal)

I'm going to go with this kernel all day/night and report back here tomorrow after monitoring battery usage though 'battery eye'. It would seem that a 30% increase in clock speed (from 600 to 800) would significantly impact battery life, but I cannot seem to find any accounts of it in the massive N900 OC thread.

Just a sidenote: when the charger or usb cable is plugged in it wont scale below 500mhz! unplug the cables and it will

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dof250 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dof250 View Post
Just a sidenote: when the charger or usb cable is plugged in it wont scale below 500mhz! unplug the cables and it will
Ha! That explains it!

My device scales down when connected to charger (both included charger and included adapter). I guessed that the 500MHz minimum is related to USB data connections, which I do not use. Are you sure it happens when connected to charger? Which charger?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

Originally Posted by Matan View Post
My device scales down when connected to charger (both included charger and included adapter). I guessed that the 500MHz minimum is related to USB data connections, which I do not use. Are you sure it happens when connected to charger? Which charger?
I was using the 'official' Nokia micro-usb PC cable that came with the device, and was connected as 'PC suite' for the whole morning (when it was not scaling below 500). It was only after I disconnected the device that I noticed it was scaling to 250 as expected

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
BTW, Matan, the differences between your http://my.arava.co.il/~matan/770/n900/freqs.diff
and my patch http://maemory.com/N900/overclock/overclock.diff
seem to be that I use a full DSP table (therefore no mapping function, except for one line in smartreflex which is not active anyway) and that I didn't add 125MHz.
How could that explain the different behavior?

The main difference I see is that you set both policy.max (in cpu-omap.c) and policy->user_policy.max (in cpufreq.c) to 600000, while I do not change files outside arch/arm.

I admit I'm a little lost, rereading this thread. What different behaviour do we try to explain?

You also use highest voltage level for all frequencies 600 and above.
I reduced the voltage levels of all frequencies 550-600, and only use the second highest for above 600.