Active Topics

A system operator is needed to assist the community with the migration, and assume general sys-op responsibility under Hildon Foundation.

Maemo.org is slowly but steadily coming into our hands. While this is very good news, it also puts a heavy workload on us, in various ways. One of these areas where we need help is systems administration. Unfortunately none of us in the Community Council and Board of Directors have either the time or (most importantly) the knowledge to supervise the systems operation of maemo.org.

As it is now the maemo.org infrastructure is comprised of about 8-10 Linux Virtual Machines and we are still in discussion as to where those machines will live on, and in what exact architecture. There are efficency, scalability, portability and financial considerations that affect the architecture of the final system.

If you have the experience, would like to help us shape the future of maemo.org, and don't mind putting a sizeable part of your free time and energy into good use, please send us an email at council@maemo.org

Requirements
  • Experience in Linux, Virtualization, Web Servers and databases
  • Experience with large servers with thousands of concurrent users and constant DDoS attacks
  • Willingness to be generally available if something on the infrastructure needs attention. We all have our day jobs and other obligations IRL so we understand that generally available does not mean 24/7, but a certain degree of reachability and activity on the maemo.org social life (either on IRC, tmo or ML) is required
Responsibilites
  • The general sys-op will be responsible for supervising the general maemo.org infrastructure and delegate work and responsibilities to sub-admins of specific assets
  • S/he will be responsible for the well being of the actual (non-virtualised) system where the VM's will be living

Link: Original article.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CommunityCouncil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Politely bumping this thread. Please ask your sysadmin friends too. We're in urgent need of someone atleast for the migration, even if s/he is not going to be available later.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I think you might have a problem here

Being responsible for a directly-connected system with large user base is not an easy job, it's hard, man, it's a full time job.

The people qualified to do so already have day jobs.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
We're in urgent need of someone atleast for the migration, even if s/he is not going to be available later.
I'm up for that, what needs to be done?

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
I'd like to help. Let me know the details.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to atamariya For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Please contact with Council by email to council@maemo.org or contact Joerg_tw (DocScrutinizer05/DocScrutinizer51) at IRC #maemo-meeting or #maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post: