Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
From Jolla's prescribes? Lots of potential customers, plus guys and girls with knowledge to influence their environment to look at vendors. Plus, after all their are a few really good application devs and other great people. Could that be intressting to jolla or they don't care?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
We want to do things in an unlike way as compared to those of your former friends ever have done. It’s the future we want to create – together with all of you.
Their "unlike" slogan is very awkward, and inelegant sounding. It's as if they wanted to use "different", but decided that sounded too much like Apple. Many of their statements peppered with "unlike", such as the one above, make me cringe when I read or hear them. It's not clever, it's grating.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2013-01-07 at 16:03.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
Their "unlike" slogan is very awkward, and inelegant sounding. It's as if they wanted to use "different", but decided that sounded too much like Apple. Many of their statements peppered with "unlike", such as the one above, make me cringe when I read or hear them. It's not clever, it's grating.
"unlike" is what people do on Facebook when they no longer like something.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
"unlike" is what people do on Facebook when they no longer like something.
Yes, I know. That makes Jolla's excessive use of the word even more bizarre, IMO.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
What I'm stating here is with my councilor hat on, but not yet checked back with all other council members.

I'm very much in line with thedead1440's post - except for me not considering Jolla's answer as any negative per se, and I think Hildon Foundation board is a bit overdoing on what the board can offer to Jolla. I'd prefer board to act a bit more humble, and to refer more to community it is suposed to serve, not posessing it (nobody ever is in posession of a community)

While council might have known of the content of HiFo's open letter in advance, it's still not on behalf of council, and council's point of view regarding the whole topic and the best way to aproach it might differ slightly.

When you're searching for supporters to donate funds, you usually don't want to do this in a "contract negotiation" way. I'd prefer to see board asking politely if funding could maybe considered by Jolla, and putting emphasis on the implicit "automatic" benefit for Jolla (regarding their good reputation/image) of doing so. Of course on top of this it's naturally when board puts supporters on their supporters-page, and I guess board won't hesitate to grant Jolla a huge "thank you!" there, designed in whatever way Jolla prefers. This is something board actually can offer, since they have control over it.

In addition the council offers to ask the maintainers of this very forum to have a sub-forum for sailfish/jolla here, if Jolla is interested (well, I guess we'll get that anyway, but hey :-D). If we at council can help in any other way to further/foster Jolla and sailfish, I'd ask Jolla to let us know - I think it's in best interest of maemo community to see Jolla and sailfish prosper and we're not in a position to demand anything. The support that maemo council offers to Jolla (however small it might be) is unconditional and based on good relations, mutual respect, and the common strive to bring the best most open phone OS to everybody.
A suggestion to Jolla regarding this: you could port sailfish to N900 as a technology preview or proof-of-concept, to instantly win the maximum possible attention and excitement in whole maemo community :-). I'm sure a lot of this community's gifted developers would instantly pick up and help on further development, even if maybe the implementation is partial at beginning and possibly (I don't know) the hw platform even might have limitations that never will allow sailfish to excel to what it no doubt will be on Jolla's future own products.

Best regards
jOERG (councilor)

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-01-07 at 19:24.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I thought the HF letter was pretty well written. Reading between the lines of Jolla's response I got this from it:

"We don't have any money to give you, sorry. We're not interested in supporting old Nokia devices or operating systems, maybe if you put more support behind Mer and Nemo... who knows what may happen in the future."

Just my take.

I also thought the Jolla response very poorly written, but I'll put that down to English as a second language (along with their unfortunate "unlike" slogan.) I think we should wish them the best, but not expect any financial support from that front any time soon (if ever).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
<snip>we're not in a position to demand anything. The support that maemo council offers to Jolla (however small it might be) is unconditional and based on good relations, mutual respect, and the common strive to bring the best most open phone OS to everybody.</snip>
That. And six more chars.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
That. And six more chars.
We ARE, and WE should! Not as community BUT as customers!

I have the highest expectations of the companies I buy from when it comes to presentation, information, price, products, you name it!

If jolla won't support us with money it's understandable(even if a very small amount would be a nice gesture)., but they should not ignore us as customers. They can't sit in the shell forever. Hope they give us something sooner rather than never. Now they know where we re thanks to the letter.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-08 at 11:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
My view of Maemo.org & Jolla :
- Talk Maemo.org is the main forum for Maemo & MeeGo Harmattan users & developers;
- Jolla Sailfish OS needs native softwares (in Qt/Qt Quick), despite use of Alien Dalvik to run many Android softwares;
- some Maemo 5 and all MeeGo Harmattan softwares with GUI use Qt/Qt Quick;
- Sailfish OS Qt Quick Components is expected to be similar to Qt Quick Components of MeeGo Harmattan;
- so, a good relationship between Maemo.org & Jolla can help boost releasing many native Qt/Qt Quick softwares to Sailfish OS, ported from Maemo 5 and MeeGo Harmattan.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2013-01-11 at 19:17. Reason: Typo fixed

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
My view of Maemo.org & Jolla :
- Talk Maemo.org is the main forum for Maemo & MeeGo Harmattan users & developers;
- Jolla Sailfish OS needs native softwares (in Qt/Qt Quick), despite use Alien Dalvik to run many Android softwares;
- some Maemo 5 and all MeeGo Harmattan softwares with GUI use Qt/Qt Quick;
- Sailfish OS Qt Quick Components is expected to be similar to Qt Quick Components of MeeGo Harmattan;
- so, a good relationship between Maemo.org & Jolla can help boost releasing many native Qt/Qt Quick softwares to Sailfish OS, ported from Maemo 5 and MeeGo Harmattan.
Absolutely true.

And I think that Jolla really needs to offer itself as the real successor of Fremantle and Harmattan, if they want to have a real community involved in their products. Consider that one of their real competitors, Canonical, already has a well known brand, a large user base, a community and all the infra they need.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:

Tags
communication, jolla