Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Very true, recently made a similar point about Ubuntu...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...37#post1313137
Sailfish needs to leverage what tiny community they have left.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Very true, recently made a similar point about Ubuntu...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...37#post1313137
Sailfish needs to leverage what tiny community they have left.
What? sailfish has a community until they show something solid it's just a bunch of fanboys.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-11 at 13:44.

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Switzerland
I think both need each other. Maemo could need Jolla and Jolla needs a community like it's available here.

When Jolla recently was asked over Twitter what their app source/community would be, they linked to apps.formeego.org which at the moment isn't a very alive community (a visit to their forum confirms that).

Maemo.org (Hildon Foundation) goes through a lot at the moment. But despite all the stress Maemo needs to make even further steps forward.

Jolla is not Maemo & Maemo is a product belonging to Nokia - furthermore it's understandable that Jolla wants to distance themselves from past Nokia products. The community here slowly has to let go from Maemo (or see it as a lower priority) if they want to have support from a company like Jolla. Because this community lives to a certain degree in the past & Jolla won't give money to let us develop Maemo apps.

I remember how MeeGo users first were rejected here in an arrogant way (not by everyone of course!) and how there were complains like "this is a Maemo forum, not a MeeGo one, go over to the MeeGo community". But well... we all know that MeeGo is an offspring of Maemo 5, so those complains never really made sense.

Things changed and fortunately this community became the hotspot for MeeGo devs, users (to a certain degree) & contributors. But IMO it needs a general reorganization and rethinking within the community - especially a clear idea of what the community wants to be (Jolla community, one for Qt devs in general, etc...). If there's a clear plan, the community would be much more attractive to sponsors/supporters or possible investors.

I hope my post is not seen as some kind of criticism... It's definitely not that.

And btw: Jolla's "unlike" slogan also rather bothers me.

The Following User Says Thank You to almamo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by almamo View Post
And btw: Jolla's "unlike" slogan also rather bothers me.
I think that is propably that the word "unlike" has some negative connotation for native english speakers?

As for myself, I do not find it odd, it seems quite OK. And as the main customer base for Jolla is targetting currently China, so maybe the word can be translated to something very nice in chinese.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think the pun with facebook is intended and I find that cool.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Is it? Would be good to know....

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
In their last major presentation(s) they explained the ethos behind why/how they devised it, CBF'd digging-it-up but it was covered at one point, or at least very obviously inferred.
It made sense then, but it's not immediately obvious to those who haven't been following them closely (too open to negative/comedic interpretation), which is why I think it's not ideal.

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-14 at 14:40.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
The community here slowly has to let go from Maemo (or see it as a lower priority) if they want to have support from a company like Jolla.
While I agree to some degree, I also see that the opposite it true. Jolla must provide a reason to let go of Maemo.

The reason that shift never happend with MeeGo was that nothing ever came from it. By the time the SDK side of things were hitting, so was news of instability within Nokia and the MeeGo efforts. There was lots of talk, lots of barely functional base porting going on, but in the end nothing was ever actually shipped running MeeGo. (Even the N9 isn't really MeeGo, and that was aborted before it even left the building.)

I remember how MeeGo users first were rejected here in an arrogant way
MeeGo was far from rejected, and the arrogance you speak of was coming primarily from their side. Walking into a community and saying that the primarily used system is a "dead platform" and that any respectable developer would stop "wasting time" on Maemo and go to MeeGo instead isn't a way to make friends.

The reason many from that community are here now is frankly because half of them never left. For the rest, there was no were else to really go when the rug got pulled out from under them. We are a community, despite our differences, and are the closest thing they had to "family". It's also why there's been lots or productive talks on how to keep tools and such alive for everyone, and maybe even share resources with other groups in the future.

Happily, I've yet to see this "we're new and thus better" attitude come directly from those in charge of Jolla. I think many of them watched or even participated in the mess that was MeeGo, and have learned from that experience.

I do think though that they undervalue what a community brings to them. Developers are great, and this community is blessed to have the talent we do within our ranks. But even the best developer will make mediocre tools and wares if there is no means of feedback or a community reflecting, praising, and even criticizing at times. I say that as an engineer, realizing that very often we (as developers/engineers) think differently than others. Having other views, even when we disagree with them, is important to do what we do.

Development is a cycle, one critical component of which is feedback. Sometimes it's a bit much here, granted. But in the end, you need a community to have a successful platform. And while you can tune out noise, you gain nothing by amplifying silence.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think both need each other.
Disagree fully. Not all of the people in this community would be beneficial moving forward for Jolla. Too much politics, egos and self-importance to be a good thing moving forward.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I think the pun with facebook is intended and I find that cool.
imo, Nokia's "Unfollow" slogan for the N9 made more sense. It delivered the message straight away,

Jolla's "Unlike" is clearly based on the former

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02x-xdtOiP0

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:

Tags
communication, jolla