Active Topics

Originally Posted by almamo View Post
The community here slowly has to let go from Maemo (or see it as a lower priority) if they want to have support from a company like Jolla.
Really? I think it's the exact opposite - one of the things that makes this community great is that it DOESN'T just let go of something the second it becomes "outdated". This is quite rare.

Considering the size of our user base, this board is outstanding! In my opinion, one of the best around. Devs and users (plus the ocasional troll) side by side, working to improve a product. Look at what happened with the N900... what it is today is mostly due to this community. If you believe this is very naive and romantic thinking, fine. But I must remind you the CSSU team fixed the Turkish certificate issue faster than Firefox did. For a 4 year old mobile phone no less!!!!

The advantages of having such a community for Jolla are obvious, and I actually think they realize this. We are related to them, after all - a kind of grandfather to Sailfish if you like. It just might be a bit too early for them to engage with us. Or maybe China is such a strong priority for them atm that we are of no use, for now.

One look at the jolla.com homepage suffices to see how much they really need a strong community like us (among other things) if they want to suceed and be "unlike".

Why would they start from scratch if they have an older family member willing to help?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
Why would they start from scratch if they have an older family member willing to help?
People start petitions here if they don't get a hardware keyboard or some feature that suits their personal needs. Connected members have been shown to be more willing to line their pockets and enter into discussions about gossip instead of helping the welfare of this entire community. Is that something that you truly call "helpful"?

The aforementioned aren't the majority, by no means. But to weed out those folks, it's a lot of work. If I were Jolla, it's just not worth it. If the Jolla system/ecosystem is enticing enough to whomever wishes to be helpful, they'll be there without having to engage those folks. They will seek out Jolla.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Disagree fully. Not all of the people in this community would be beneficial moving forward for Jolla. Too much politics, egos and self-importance to be a good thing moving forward.
Well, ok, not ALL of the people... but seriously, don't you think that Jolla would, in the end, benefit from a community like this? Not even a bit?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The aforementioned aren't the majority, by no means. But to weed out those folks, it's a lot of work. If I were Jolla, it's just not worth it. If the Jolla system/ecosystem is enticing enough to whomever wishes to be helpful, they'll be there without having to engage those folks. They will seek out Jolla.
Fair enough. I disagree, but I see your point, and honestly don't know enough about what's going on behind the scenes... I just think that is eventually what happens as a community grows and expands. And I doubt a new community from Jolla would be immune to this. But I see your point, sometimes it's better just to reflash :-)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Fair enough. I disagree, but I see your point, and honestly don't know enough about what's going on behind the scenes... I just think that is eventually what happens as a community grows and expands. And I doubt a new community from Jolla would be immune to this. But I see your point, sometimes it's better just to reflash :-)
I didn't mean that to be a spoil sport though. I mean, there's some killer talent within the TMO members. I wouldn't even begin to list them all out because it'll be easier to point out who's not a killer talent...

I'd have to start pointing at myself to begin that list.

Seriously though, there's a lot of good things. I just think that Jolla being a startup doesn't need to drag the historical stuff that dragged the latter part of my TMO membership down into their current endeavors. It's inevitable, but not in the beginning. No need to have it then.

Regardless, I think that reaching out to Jolla should have been done once TMO was moved and established and could show how well they are without the teat of Nokia suckling them.

Best wishes to this site, best wishes to Jolla.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ India
I am following this thread, TMO open letter to Jolla and there reply.

what i can make out that they are betting on the ACL/alien dalvik for apps and I can see there point as well. They want something readily baked to serve to there customers so may be later when they find some success and need some innovation then they can come to this community or may start a new one, who knows.

I guess we as community should respect there strategy and decisions and i guess they are trying to not be as arrogant as of Nokia who ditched ACL or alien delvik from N9 to kill the chances of its success if any.

and they are trying to be 'UNLIKE' nokia :P

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
The reason that shift never happend with MeeGo was that nothing ever came from it. By the time the SDK side of things were hitting, so was news of instability within Nokia and the MeeGo efforts. There was lots of talk, lots of barely functional base porting going on, but in the end nothing was ever actually shipped running MeeGo. (Even the N9 isn't really MeeGo, and that was aborted before it even left the building.)
Well of course there was nothing shipped with meego proper, it was always intended for there to be a transition to meego via harmattan, with at least 3x harmattan devices (inc. N950) before meego devices 1st started appearing in H2 2012.
But after the strategy change in Feb 11', barely enough resources were left to get harmattan out the door, let alone meego proper devices...
MeeGo was far from rejected, and the arrogance you speak of was coming primarily from their side.
Oh yes it was by some quarters, I saw countless examples of users telling harmattan users to go elsewhere as harmattan wasn't maemo & this is a maemo-only forum, & other such childish antics.
This occurred far more so from the maemo side in-fact (less so as time went on), although that doesn't exclude childish behaviour from harmattan users, there's plenty to be had there too.

But with regards to the main thrust of your post, absolutely agreed, very well expressed....

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-01-15 at 08:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
imo, Nokia's "Unfollow" slogan for the N9 made more sense. It delivered the message straight away,

Jolla's "Unlike" is clearly based on the former

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02x-xdtOiP0
Yeah I've expressed similar sentiments, I think that's where they've drawn at least partial inspiration...
In some ways I think unfollow would've been better, maybe they considered it & felt it was too much of a legal risk, although I don't envisage a big one TBH.
The whole Chinese campaign for the N9 was far more creative than any other country/region, they must've noticed that.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Well, ok, not ALL of the people... but seriously, don't you think that Jolla would, in the end, benefit from a community like this? Not even a bit?
A bit, but I think that if Jolla puts up their own community a la TMO over at their end and supports it by, for example, seeding devices with power users, a sizable number of big contributors here would gladly join in.

There would be some benefit to Jolla taking on Maemo/HiFo, but said benefit would be outweighed by the large amount of "legacy" it carries with it.

Tags
communication, jolla