Closed Thread
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
nitdroid

And still want android apps, dude?! Havntcha heard bout NITdroid, sucker?!
Seriously, NITDroid? Not only do you have to reboot to use that, at which point you are deprived of the loveliness which is Maemo5, power and battery management doesn't work properly on it. It won't recognise a fully charged battery when I put a freshly charged one in, often giving me a battery low message then shutting down. It doesn't do any power management on the wifi radio, meaning if I have wifi on it'll get rather hot and drain the battery quicker than necessary. NITDroid, unless significant improvement has occurred in the last release or two, is lousy.

Don't take this rant as criticism of the NITDroid devs, I appreciate and respect all the hard work they have put in to getting it to its current state, it is just that I don't find its current state very usable, it is only useful if I really need to use an Android app.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
It can make and receive them. You just can't hear anything. Then again, do you really want to?
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Yeah... that's quite possibly one of the highest features I want on any phone... the ability to make/receive and hear the phone calls
LMFAO!!

Thats the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time. Damn those pesky phonecalls. Nokia should stop that function on the next PR upgrade.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-09-05 at 19:42.

Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Quicker to just say "hey, we on for some LAN?" Then to have to actually talk to someone and ask how they're doing, etc
Yeah, screw that talking to people lark. What a horrifying thought. Eeeeuuwwww, it's so 1950's.

Last edited by JamesBond@ge; 2011-09-05 at 19:50.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ United Kingdom
Having put to rest my Nokia N900 (RIP MyNokiaN900) for a Samsung Galaxy S2, the one thing I miss the most is the ability to multi-boot into Maemo or Android or run scripts via X-Term. Having experienced Android for the past 3 weeks, I've been pleasantly surprised at the speed of the device together with the Android OS. I have also gotten involved in the Android Community and started to experiment with loading new ROMS, and Kernels etc. It's good fun getting involved, experimenting, telling others etc.

Any device or should I say Smartphone can feel like a stupid toy if one doesn't take the time to understand it, break it, rebuild it, learn it, install new software, play with it, break it again, get on the forums and ask loads of questions, answer questions other are asking.... all of these things are part of having a Smartphone.

When I read the first post I just thought.... TOSSER!, you've not experienced the N900 because you have never gotten involved or contributed to this wonderful Maemo Community. 1 Post is hardly getting involved. Like others have said, there are some awesome programs that Maemo has that Android or Apple can just dream of (TV remote control programs come to mind) and I suspect this chap will go to Android, or Apple and get bored very quickly with the tens of thousands of the same App, with 5 star ratings...

Probably the worst place to moan about Maemo as well... Clearly not very bright!
My Nokia N900 is my website, still up an running for the Maemo community. My Nokia N900 is upgraded to 21.2011.38-1Tmaemo1.1 ~ CSSU ready ~ Overclocked ~ Speed patched ~ Swappolube ~ was running 7 desktops ~ 270 apps and counting ~ Multi-Boot with Standard Kernel , Kernel Power 2.6.28.10power47 and NITDroid N12 "UMay".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyNokiaN900 For This Useful Post:
^^ Woah, what happened to your N900 mate?

I know that you are, or were, probably one of the most enthusiastic N900 owners out there.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
nothing is useless on the repos........you just don't know how to use all of those apps. I'm not saying that I can, but ones I read, research, and understand, I found most of those programs maybe useful for me, if not for me, then to somebody else.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
nothing is useless on the repos........you just don't know how to use all of those apps. I'm not saying that I can, but ones I read, research, and understand, I found most of those programs maybe useful for me, if not for me, then to somebody else.
Hmm, I wouldn't say that "nothing" is useless on the repos. Tarring everything with the same brush there and life isn't like that.

I've installed a couple of whoppers from the repos that came straight back off within minutes.

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Hmm, I wouldn't say that "nothing" is useless on the repos. Tarring everything with the same brush there and life isn't like that.

I've installed a couple of whoppers from the repos that came straight back off within minutes.
then you have a very good "attention to detail" skills.

EDIT: i got your point James, i saw an app, description is written using some hieroglyphic type of letters and symbols I can't read...USELESS!!!

to the OP: see how useless I am?

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

Last edited by gabby131; 2011-09-05 at 20:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
I didn't say you were useless lol. Damn, I feel bad now.

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
I didn't say you were useless lol. Damn, I feel bad now.
I was just playing coz at some point I need to agree with you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
bada rox, bell end, maemo useless, news flash:duh!