Actually 0.61 * 0.84 ~ 51%

PS Keep in mind, these per cents aren't official, it is from magazine's sources.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So... wait. Am I to understand that basically this Finnish OS is now under Russian control now?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by lantern View Post

PS Keep in mind, these per cents aren't official, it is from magazine's sources.
Ha! Noticed that myself. Was just curious. What kind of phones can you currently buy in Russia. Can you get phones like iphone, galaxy note and pixel? How much control does the government have on software? For example, in China, Google play store is not permitted on phone. At least that was the case a few years ago.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Am I to understand that basically this Finnish OS is now under Russian control now?
That's how I have understood it for at least two years. Or was it three? Basically ever since the tablet fiasco gave a glimpse of some shadowy things going on in the background.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lantern View Post

Not really. The 84% is 4/5 of the Jolla Oy; the 61% refers to these, *not* to the full 100% (5/5) of Jolla Oy. Anyways, it is correct that the main stakeholder is also the one which decides the future of the company. SO these nr are just a silverlining.
What this means is simple; the Russian Telecom is funding development of an alternative OS to android. I don't see any problems with that, as long as there's "only" android blobs (which makes this discussion pointless anyways, really)

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
What kind of phones can you currently buy in Russia. Can you get phones like iphone, galaxy note and pixel? How much control does the government have on software? For example, in China, Google play store is not permitted on phone. At least that was the case a few years ago.
God almighty! We are starving here, nobody cares about phones

PS Situation with phones here is way better than in Europe or US, for example.
We have full spectrum of all manufacturers (except some garage ones, like razer or essential one) with no top-of-the-line locked-by-operator good-luck-to-unlock phones.
Oh, no modifications or 'prohibitions' on app stores also.

PS And if you want some non-casual stuff, you can always order anything from another country with no taxes up to 1000 euro/person/month.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 89 | Thanked: 222 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Prague
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
You can be shure that NSA doesnt is part of financing Google, Microsoft etc?

For me destruction of Nokia and Harmattan Meego can be happend by massive operation from there.
The only OS not controlled by the US. And since Symbian was nearby dead, Harmattan/Meego appeared. That was dangerous. So even Iphone 1 and Android in this period war nearby a joke (i was probing this phones for one day) adn had i massive comercial "the future" of phones.
Even today you can read that Apple invented the smartphone.
So you tell my that i am fan of conspiracy theories what are you?

Or otherwise, if you are paranoid with Putin, why not to the US-Agencys?

Here an example of Agencys Projects financed by "private Industry"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_Explorer
I find this a plausible explanation to all the implausible decisions made during the Elop era, which i have previously been unable to comprehend!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to glo-worm For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by glo-worm View Post
I find this a plausible explanation to all the implausible decisions made during the Elop era, which i have previously been unable to comprehend!
I read a more accurate explanation in Operation Elop.
Be warned, this explains events without pulling the narrative all seeing NSA card but is never the less an interesting read

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ @Finland
The Kommersant article tells how Sailfish will be the phone for 8 million government staff by 2021. This transition would cost some 160 bn rubles, ie 2 bn euros, or 250 euros per set.

An intersting bit is here "This amount includes the funds needed to finalize Sailfish, 2.3 billion rubles [28 m euros] from the federal budget. The Ministry of Finance, according to Kommersant, presents a justification for the need to allocate this amount."

Sounds to me that the 3.0 is happening with this contribution by the Russian government.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Slate For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Slate View Post
The Kommersant article tells how Sailfish will be the phone for 8 million government staff by 2021. This transition would cost some 160 bn rubles, ie 2 bn euros, or 250 euros per set.

An intersting bit is here "This amount includes the funds needed to finalize Sailfish, 2.3 billion rubles [28 m euros] from the federal budget. The Ministry of Finance, according to Kommersant, presents a justification for the need to allocate this amount."

Sounds to me that the 3.0 is happening with this contribution by the Russian government.
Sounds like a plan. But no. I do not think that will happen unless these 8 m has the requirment of a basic feature phone. The amount is not enough. The user base is not big enough.

Unless the Russians secretly have lined up the top 5000 developers working with the os, top notch applications an services.

To me this sounds like news scam..
But I would be really impressed if they can squeeze out an useful osES with cool and great and useful services included within 2,5 years! GORUSSIA!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-09-10 at 18:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: