Posts: 8 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Hi,

I've searched these forums, the N900 USA User Guide, as well as Google and see no pointers to this information; I'm hoping current N900 users can provide some information.

The current implementation of the Call Log on Symbian S60 (I have both the N95 + E71; using on ATT/USA) is quite limited in that all incoming calls via GSM/UMTS show the "mobile phone" icon (SIP calls show the SIP icon) - i.e., the call icon is based on the network the call is coming in on and not on the caller ID number as matched against the phone type as listed in the address book / contacts. Has this changed for N900? [Looking at Maemo Bug ID 5552, it appears that this behavior has not changed]

When examining call logs, and looking at names as listed from the address book / contact list, it is impossible to determine what type of line (mobile, home, office, etc) that call is related to: the user has to check via "Options -> User Number -> Edit", memorize the number, then cross reference via the address book / contacts to find out which line that call is from / to. Has this behavior changed with Maemo 5? [Note: in the call logs, the same icon issue exists as described above for an incoming call]

Lastly, on Symbian S60, when multiple calls are placed, received, missed, from the same number, the last entry for that type (placed, received, missed) replaces a prior entry: i.e., without my looking at my online ATT bill, I can not determine which separate times (and durations, for placed and received calls), just the last instance. Has this behavior changed for Maemo 5?

NB: for all of these, my older Nokia phones (from many many years ago) as well as other (SE, HTC WinMo, etc) phones all had what I (and, from reports on the Web, many many others) would deem to be "correct" behavior, as described above.

Thanks,

-CM

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chunnayya For This Useful Post:
At least on my Nokia 6120c, the raw log data (for the last 30 days) is available both using Nokia call log application and to applications (using python, for example), so you can display them any way you want. Assuming this data will also be available on N900 as well, it is merely a matter of writing an application that displays this information in your preferred way.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Actually, on the older Nokia phones I've used (and phones from other companies - SE, HTC, etc), the detailed logs are available on the phone itself (e.g., on the Logs screen) - I didn't mean the logs once off-loaded to a PC. (I'm presuming by "Nokia call log application" you mean Nokia Suite or Ovi Suite - if not, please correct me)

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I'm interested in this too. I would like there to be a views of all calls incoming, outgoing, and missed, sortable by both date/time and by number, and able to view both the number (so I can distinguish between mobile and landline for example) and the looked-up contact name if present. Oh and same for texts too. This is so that I can match up with my bill (which just shows the number), as I have to pay for personal calls with my work-supplied phone. If this isn't available with built-in Nokia tools, then a third-party app is fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
In my S60v3 device, I have very detailed call log limited with last 1000 entries and 30 days. I can view entries filtered in device or I can export it in CSV format easily for further purposes.

I hope I can get similar functionality somehow.
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following User Says Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
I believe there is significant value for having the ability to provide at least some of the chronologically listed detailed call logs on the device itself: for example, when away from your computer, if you are called several times in succession by someone in an emergency, and then are called again by someone else, it is currently impossible (on Symbian S50v3 - Nokia E71) to know both how many times and when (except for the last time) that that individual called.

Every other phone I've had (except for the two Symbian S60v3 phones - N95 + E71) have had this ability. In addition to, of course, the other two I listed on my first post.

BTW: for those of you who are interested in these features, I encourage you to sign up for the Maemo Bugzilla and vote for the Bug ID listed above (5552) - that link is for the Bug tracking the ability to show which kind of line (listed in the address book / contacts) a call is related to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chunnayya For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chunnayya View Post
I believe there is significant value for having the ability to provide at least some of the chronologically listed detailed call logs on the device itself
You already have that ability, could you please try to

1. Locate Logs application within the menu of your S60v3 device and execute it
2. Press right to access detailed log

?
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

No - on my E71, when I access the Log application (whether via Menu -> Log or via pressing green Call button), I get the listing of Dialed, Received, Missed calls in separate tabs, which I can navigate through by pressing right or left on the D-Pad.

These listings are "detailed" only in the sense that they provide the nam / number and time of the last instance of that call - there is no indication of duration, there is no indication of which line (if the entry exists in the address book / contacts), there is no indication of multiple calls to / from that number if such exist - only the last call entry is there. The right soft-key is "Exit" on all of those tabs; the left soft-key is "Options" but has no further detailed view amongst the options listed; pressing the center D-Pad button while any entry is hilighted produces a smaller subset of the "Options" menu.

Screenshots are taken from my N82. Can't you reproduce them?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Hi - nope - the only entries showing in the 3rd panel you're showing above are data (WLAN / "Pack." (UMTS)) - regardless of the fact that I've got "All communication" set for the "Filter" in "Options".

Perhaps this is due to "outdated" FW - there was a time (~1 week ago) when there briefly appeared to have been new FW available, but, I was never able to successfully update - odd errors (IO, invalid, etc) when attempting to update - and, subsequently, that "new" FW has not been available.

I have done hard resets on my phone (and restored my apps + contacts + re-sync'd my calendar + notes) - in an effort to have alleviated this - but, no dice....

(Grabbing S60 screenshot app - will post shortly..)

The Following User Says Thank You to chunnayya For This Useful Post: