Hey everybody,
I searched in the www for voicechats with more than 3 users for the n810 and maemo.
The two most popular are Teamspeak 2 and Mumble.
As Teamspeak is not open-source there is no way to port a i386 app to the arm based linux-kernel of maemo.

But mumble is opensource and Platform-Independent.So there might be a way for some of the coders (actually I have no plan of porting apps to linux / maemo) to port mumble as a app for maemo. This would be so nice :>

I'm fascinated by the low-latency and the good quality. It is on skype niveau and seems to be the perfect voice-chat app to port to Maemo.

If there is no way or nobody who has time to port the app, may there be a way to get mumble running in the easy debian envoirment of the maemo app Debian LXDE?

Have a nice day
Pinatz

Last edited by Pinatz; 2009-04-01 at 20:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pinatz For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Skype does conferencing, I use it regularly for conferences of 4 or 5 people. I'm sure the tablet's Skype client can participate in these conferences. You'd want to host the conference on a more powerful computer, of course, and then invite the tablet user to join.

Is this for when you're playing Quake on your device?

We used to use TeamSpeak for office Doom3 matches (on PCs I hasten to add!).

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your fast answer qole and lardman
The problem is, that many people do not have skype. But they have mumble. And you can be in a channel all the time with other people who are playing games even although you are just chilling around.
So you could join a channel with some friends in it who are playing counter-strike or whatever and just want to talk without having to run skype and mumble at the same time. (and there´s a problem when you are talking with somebody in skype while you are in teamspeak, they cant hear him and wonder why you are talking )

And yeah.. sometimes... to play quake !

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Well, I think the likelihood of getting another (gaming specific) voice chat client on the tablets is very unlikely, since Skype already does a good job, is cross platform, and is a free download.

The ability to listen in and participate in on-going game chats is interesting, however...

Anyway, Mumble is available in the Debian and Ubuntu repositories. You can always give it a spin via Easy Debian and see how it works...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Ye, but unfortunately i don't know how to compile the file. Last time I did something with linux was some years back
I've downloaded the *.tar.gz file and now there was a command -.-
I think I'm going to google it or maybe you know/remember the commands x)

The Following User Says Thank You to Pinatz For This Useful Post:
No don't compile anything. Get Easy Debian, then when you've got it all set up, use Synaptic (the icon is installed with Easy Debian) or "apt-get install mumble" (from the Debian Chroot prompt) to install Mumble. If you want to run mumble, you'll want to run it as user, not as root, so, once it is installed, open a new terminal and type "debbie mumble" and see what happens...

:>
I tried to install it with apt-get and I'm getting the error "couldn't find package mumble"

I will try synaptic but I think it will not make any difference right? ^^

Make sure you update the package lists first; "apt-get update" before "apt-get install"

I know it is there, because Debian says so.

EDIT: OH YIKES! For some reason, this VoIP client needs OpenGL support! WTF!? So, it may be unusable because someone thought it would be cool to use fancy OpenGL graphics. If the OpenGL portion of the app is in any way significant, you are out of luck, because the tablets don't do hardware accelerated graphics, and OpenGL is pretty much a no-go.

So you need to do:
Code:
apt get update
apt get install --no-install-recommends libgl1-mesa-swx11 mumble
This will force mumble to use software GL rendering, which will work, just incredibly slowly.

(Edit2: I'm hoping the OpenGL dependency is for linking into games, for the feature that will make the voice of the person talking come from their character in-game)

Edit3: It looks like they're using PulseAudio, which is also (currently) unsupported on the tablets. If you can't get mumble to use ALSA / ESD, you're out of luck too.

EDIT4: If mumble looks like a no-go, try the "teamspeak-client" package.

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-01 at 21:25.

EDIT: OH YIKES! For some reason, this VoIP client needs OpenGL support! WTF!? So, it may be unusable because someone thought it would be cool to use fancy OpenGL graphics.
The wonders of Debian's dependencies.

Might just be easier for someone to grab the .dsc, .tar.gz and .diff and remove some of the unneeded deps and compile it natively for the device. Any offers?

Really we could do with a list of stuff that people want compiled, that could be voted for (so you know that it's worth your effort to get it to compile), then anyone with a spare 5 (or more!) min could compile one of said programs and everyone will be happy.

Tags
debian, lxde, mumble, open, source